Sanderson Headers

Daddys409Belair

Supporting Member 1
Say Fellows-

Sanderson sells a set of blockhuggers for the 409. In the description, it says: "Our headers are designed to fit 348-409's tight to the block, and will work in all street rod chassis, and many other cars and trucks without a crossmember under the center of the motor." :scratch

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/pagesbypartnum/cc409.htm

Am I reading too much into this or will these fit my '61 Belair?

Also, would someone please tell me the benefit of ceramic coating and if it's worth the extra expense?

Thanks in advance.

No409

Supporting Member 1
those look like they will hit the crossmember in a 61. maby if the collectors were angled back they would work.

as far as ceramic coating, i believe its well worth it. I do every set of headers i get.
i use airborn coatings in hartford ct. my 409 headers ran me $225 coated inside and out. look beautiful and lasts a long time.

Geary Trussell

Well Known Member
Header Fit

I purchased a set of Sandersons for my 59 and the front tube hit the upper
control arm stud on the drivers side. Sanderson said they would
try to move that tube for me but I have not given them measurements
as of yet.

roger gunter

Supporting Member 1
hugger headers

I meet you in Hamiltom this last summer
I had the hondrous maroon 61 bubbletop
I am a friend of OLD[whead
:roll :roll

I have a set on my 61 impala
they came from show cars and they do not hit the crossmember
I had them ceramic coated and it is worth the money
I would be willing to trade these for a set of 425 hp manifolds
if interested email me
have a good one
:cheers
roger
61 bubbletop
409/425 hp
4 speed
factory a/c

mabeauchamp

Supporting Member 1
When I saw the post I gave Sanderson a call. They said the headers would fit a 62 Impala. (Based on this answer, I expect will also work for all 61-64. I cannot speak for other years.) The design has supposedly been modified slightly, angling the collectors back. $285 for the raw, $435 for the ceramic. I'm seriously considering giving them a try. If I do, I'll let everyone know how the story turns out.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have a set in a box and don't use them because they hit the front bolt on the A-arms. I've had two sets one for the 64 and one for the 58 they were the same. The front tube needs to come up then back and down. Unless they have changed them it is not the cross member you have to worry about it is the A-arm bolt. I cut mine off but then you can't add shims if you need them so I replaced the bolt and bought different headers. Much more power.But the Sandersons hookup to stock exhaust with little work. :) Roy

mabeauchamp

Supporting Member 1
It looks like SC may be the only game in town (Belanger) now that Doug Thorley has been bought out.

Daddys409Belair

Supporting Member 1
Geary Trussell-

Good luck with Sanderson.

Roger-

Thanks for the offer - I don't have any hi-performance manifolds, though. (Tell ole W-Head I'm glad he's still in Texas!)

Mabeauchamp-

Good luck with the headers - lemme know how it works out!

Tripowerguy-

If the set you have is non-ceramic, let me know and we might make a deal.:brow
What other set of headers did you use?

Thanks every body!

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I used the Belanger style from a guy in Arizona I believe. I want to say Clark but I'm not sure. I need to look up some paperwork to be sure but just moving it may take a while. Maybe Aubrey can help I think he told me his name. They are small if you are running a big inch engine but they work great on my 348. I bought some mandrel bends and straight pipe with some chambered mufflers. I built the exhaust 2 1/2" and it goes almost as fast in the 1/4 through the mufflers as uncorked. I powdercoated them but am not satisfied with the powdercoating, it chipped in a few places. The guy I bought them off of was a really nice guy if I remember.:clap Roy

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
tripowerguy said:
...Unless they have changed them it is not the cross member you have to worry about it is the A-arm bolt. I cut mine off but then you can't add shims if you need them so I replaced the bolt and bought different headers...

One possible solution to this, other than trimming the bolt, is to turn the bolt around 180 degrees so the head of the bolt is toward the engine instead of away. Makes aligning the car a bit more tedious, but you'd still have the extra threads available for shims that you'd have otherwise cut-off.

Daddys409Belair

Supporting Member 1
If the headers are bent back slightly now (unlike the picture which shows a small block) then I will definitely use them.

Could someone tell me if the ceramic coating will significantly reduce underhood heat?:dunno

Thanks again everybody.:clap

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Those bolts are knurled and I think I tried what you said and it wouldn't clear the A-arm. Anyway I bought a grade 8 bolt and knurled the shank before putting it in. I have a question if Doug Thorly got bought out will the new company still make W headers?:dunno Roy

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
pertronix

Pertronix bought Thorley. The are currently using the name Patriot for their exhaust products. I can't see why they would buy the company and then stop selling their products. Maybe just re brand them as Patriot tri-Y headers. Somebody will probably have to give then a call.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Ceramic

Ceramic metal coating on the inside and out will reduce underhood temps. It will also increase exhaust scavenging but at the expense of the balance of the exhaust, as the heat will deteriorate the uncoated pipes at an excelerated rate. Show cars and race cars would be the usual patients for coated headers. Jet-Hot and Sterling are the inovaters in the header coatings business. I talked to Jet-hot before I had mine coated and learned a lot. My Headman SBC Four tube headers coated in and out with shipping was just under $500.00. It kept my new glass hood from sagging from the heat. Chrome like finish, lifetime guaratee also. I hope the guy I sold then to enjoys them.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
what a mess

Sorry about all the spelling errors. Getting late in the day for me.