SBC Chev Alum Heads

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I realize there are alot of choices out there and this question should be on another webb site but I sort of trust you guys opinion:hug
In building a 383 SBC that will be used in a Camaro 4sp, 3:7 rear for a cruiser/Sunday driver and not being raced what would be your choice of Aluminum head and would you get it "assembled" or use someone else's valves/springs. Remember not actively raced!!(too old for that stuff)
robert

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Head Games

Robert: This is my opinion. I'm not an expert. If money was no object, I would buy Brodix. They have been making aluminun heads a long time. For a street driven car, like you mentioned, I think Trick Flow would work well. :clap Yes, I would buy them assembled, with cam and valve lift in mind. Skip:clap

jarretts409

heads

robert
my dad has built a lot of engines .hes got a 1100 hp 540 blown with electrontic fuel injection in a 55 chevy that runs low 8s street car so he knows what he is doing . just last summer he built a couple sbc street motors for a couple guys and he has used edelbrock performer rpm heads . 1 motor was a 355 cid with
10.1 compression and edelbrock rpm package(cam intake heads) and it dynoed at 444 hp and 422 ft lbs torque on pump gas . good bang for the buck
just my input hope it helps
jarrett

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
As a driver, I would buy the Eddy Performer RPM. package But for sure at least the heads and intake.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I've had 4 sets of street aluminum heads:

Older AFR
Trick Flow 23*
Holley 20* (made by Brodix)
Edelbrock Perf RPM

I think the Edelbrock heads were the best head for the $, if I was going to spend a little more I'd get the new-style Eliminator AFR heads. Just my .02.

dc

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Robert-

Ronnie just built up my 327 and I put Patriot heads (2.02 valves) on it. They are very nice. I am having a geometry issue with the valve train, but I think I just need to spend some more time on it. It runs soo good that I don't want to mess with it right now.... Thank You Ronnie!!!! :bow :bow

I got them from Whites Performance on Ebay. I actually bought just about everything they sell for my motor...errr engine!!! :)

Patriot Heads w/ 2.02 valves

Patriot Heads w/ 2.05 valves

Also, they will accept any SBC intake...standard (older style) or Vortec. If you use a standard intake, make sure you plug the holes in the head for the Vortec Intake, they will leak oil. I learned the hard way. :bang :bang :bang

runners406

heads

do not buy dart small block alum, heads i have seen the casting just crack apart in the valve guide area several times - also dart gets their castings from mexico . i have replaced several bad heads from dart and would not recomend them to anyone i am not saying they are all bad just i know what i have pulled back off customers cars . world products makes a very dependable head ,also edlebrock make reliable heads . be ware of used alum heads - unless you know why they were pulled for fact ! :)

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Read the numbers

If you read the numbers for low lift flow for all the heads, Trick flow comes out looking very good. On the street they work great and the price is fantastic. They work even better with their own cam for SBC. Sumitt sells them in a couple of versions. My 383 was 10:1, Crane roller, Offy crossram, 600 Holleys x2, Trick flow 23 degree CNC heads. Made 530 HP at 6800 on a SuperFlow dyno couple of years back. Not a race engine, drove it to all the cruises.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I would go for the AFR`s,,,
From what I have read and heard they are quality heads for the price,dq

jr.W

Well Known Member
Depends on $ the top of my list would be AFRs. I would get the 195 cc ports.
If you are not stuck on alum. the vortec heads right from gm is about the most cost effective you can get.

jr.W

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Depends on $ the top of my list would be AFRs. I would get the 195 cc ports.
If you are not stuck on alum. the vortec heads right from gm is about the most cost effective you can get.

jr.W
yep will have to be Alum on this one
robert

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Robert-

Ronnie just built up my 327 and I put Patriot heads (2.02 valves) on it. They are very nice. I am having a geometry issue with the valve train, but I think I just need to spend some more time on it. It runs soo good that I don't want to mess with it right now.... Thank You Ronnie!!!! :bow :bow

I got them from Whites Performance on Ebay. I actually bought just about everything they sell for my motor...errr engine!!! :)

Patriot Heads w/ 2.02 valves

Patriot Heads w/ 2.05 valves

Also, they will accept any SBC intake...standard (older style) or Vortec. If you use a standard intake, make sure you plug the holes in the head for the Vortec Intake, they will leak oil. I learned the hard way. :bang :bang :bang

A friend of mine bought some too but he installed them himself then came over and said they leaked oil and it was my fault I laughed and told him this ain't the dealership boy no warranty here. He paid me to look at them and I plugged the holes he is happy and they perform well then I gave him his money back.
Poor kid doesn't have a pot to p*ss in:roll

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
It's pretty simple

Buying SBC heads today is really simple. Look at the cam card you are usinig and then look at the flow chart for all the lifts for the different heads. Check what flows best at and under the max lift with the best pricing. This is of course for a stree/strip engine. Good flow at smaller post sizes works best on the street/strip engine. Don't just buy high flowing big port heads and expect them to run on the street.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Thanks for the tip Mike. Cam selection isn't final yet but based on previous good success it will probably be a Comp grind. Consideration has been given to that "hot Rod" grind that Aubrey was discussing awhile back. I have had concerns with port sizing on a boat engine years ago and blamed throttle response to the large open chamber iron heads we used in the mid 70's
robert

playswithcars

Well Known Member
You could get it set of GM L98 alum heads off tuned port Corvette. Available is good, they are cheap and keep your engine GM.

Just my .02 cents