SBC parts combo

62convert

Hi all,
Im planning on redoing the engine in my 69 Camaro and would like an opinion from you gents on the combo.

First, it’s a 307-yes I know I could do much better with a 350, but the wife just HAS to have the original engine in the car. I have a 396 sitting here that I’d rather do, lol.

Anyhow, it’s bored .040 to 313 c.i. with a stock stroke. Have 2cc domed RaceTec pistons sitting .025 in the hole, .017 steel shim gaskets, planning on running small valve vortec heads with a dual plane manifold and edelbrock 500 cfm carb. Cam choice is the Comp Cams xe268h with 1.52 roller rockers. Transmission will be a th350, and I’m thinking 3.23-3.55 for the rear (2.56 currently). I have no illusion that this motor will build a ton of power, just trying to get the most out of it. Intended use is cruising with occasional highway use @ 80 mph. Anticipate 91 octane no ethanol fuel.

Good combo or is this just gonna be a big ol turd?

Rob

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/sucp-0604-chevy-engine-performance

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/0207phr-307-chevy-block-build/
I like John Becks Idea to stroke and bore it out a little. Running a Chevy 307 block bored to 3.935 inches, and a SCAT crank at 3.750-inch stroke. My little 355ci in my conv punches above its weight class so why not just change the internals a little and keep the external looking near stock. Could even put a 2 barrel fuel injection system on it to keep the low key 307 look. I'd be tempted to try and put Vortec heads on myself. Think she would notice if you stuffed a sbc 400 in its place? :brow

62convert

That guy is pretty dang funny. Surprised he got that power out of those questionable parts.

She wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between small blocks. But I’d hate to have to lie to her all the time, lol.

I’ll have to look into that 3.750 stroke combo.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
.025 PLUS .017 Equals .042 quench it wont be that b ad as is.The 305 vortec head will wake it up.Go back one size to an XE 262 ,use an Edelbrock EPS or equilevent intake and an Edelbrock 500 AVS2,small tube headers.That 3.75 combo will require expensive custom pistons,not worth it imo.The package that I mentioned will punch well above it's weight,be inexensive to build and meet your wife's expectations.Run a 3.55 gear on it.

Last edited:

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That guy is pretty dang funny. Surprised he got that power out of those questionable parts.

She wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between small blocks. But I’d hate to have to lie to her all the time, lol.

I’ll have to look into that 3.750 stroke combo.
HOLD THE PHONE! You don't have to lie to your wife about your parts now? That just means you don't have any go fast parts then. If you do have some "go fast" parts then you need some "go FASTER" parts!

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/sucp-0604-chevy-engine-performance

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/0207phr-307-chevy-block-build/
I like John Becks Idea to stroke and bore it out a little. Running a Chevy 307 block bored to 3.935 inches, and a SCAT crank at 3.750-inch stroke. My little 355ci in my conv punches above its weight class so why not just change the internals a little and keep the external looking near stock. Could even put a 2 barrel fuel injection system on it to keep the low key 307 look. I'd be tempted to try and put Vortec heads on myself. Think she would notice if you stuffed a sbc 400 in its place? :brow
Remember in this video the guy used old crap springs, swapped heads, bought the wrong cam for the heads he ended up bolting on. What it boils down to is you can make any engine perform very well. Its just a matter of understanding what is needed to make it work the way you want. I only hunted around for 30 seconds and found these videos and info. Give me a day and I could come up with the holy grail. LOL! Just think it through. Any performance over stock is better. Even jumping to an over drive transmission and a lower rear gear would help too.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
.025 PLUS .017 Equals .042 quench it wont be that b ad as is.The 305 vortec head will wake it up.Go back one size to an XE 262 ,use an Edelbrock EPS or equilevent intake and an Edelbrock 500 AVS2,small tube headers.That 3.75 combo will require expensive custom pistons,not worth it imo.The package that I mentioned will punch well above it's weight,be inexensive to build and meet your wife's expectations.Run a 3.55 gear on it.
And yet again the fine Doctor has spoken!
:appl:bow

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I am going to tell you something I think you will like right now. Last year I ran a mild ported set of Vortec heads with "stock" valve sizes and with stock rockers and a hyd cam my car ran 10.90's so I think you little .040 307 is going to go pretty good. Heck even when I ran the no ported set prior to the ones mentioned before the car ran 11.60's, you should make an honest 300 to 325hp if the stars all line up.

62convert

Remember in this video the guy used old crap springs, swapped heads, bought the wrong cam for the heads he ended up bolting on. What it boils down to is you can make any engine perform very well. Its just a matter of understanding what is needed to make it work the way you want. I only hunted around for 30 seconds and found these videos and info. Give me a day and I could come up with the holy grail. LOL! Just think it through. Any performance over stock is better. Even jumping to an over drive transmission and a lower rear gear would help too.

I did do a few searches last year and found some info, but I trust y’all on here more. I knew the change to the rear gear was a must, just wasn’t really sure about the engine parts combination.