Seat Belt Color

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Anyone know the correct color for 1961 Impala (Trim 852) seat belt? I assume they were turquoise but I can't find that color in the after market. I have an original set from a fawn interior is it possible to dye them turquoise if that was the correct color? Larry

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That was the color on my 61. Don't remember if the belts are still in it or not. I'll check tomorrow.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Larry....I don't think seat belts were available from the factory in '61, they were listed as being available as a dealer installed accessory and some dealers installed aftermarket belts in cars. I beleive that the belts that were available from Chevrolet over the parts counter were all grey. I guess if the dealer installed a set of aftermarket belts they may have been other colors.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Tommy's right, of course.
No belts in my 61.
Seatbelts not listed as RPO, so accessories only for full size cars, although they became standard in 58 on Corvettes and color matched the interior.
Only one part number (988675) listed for 61 belts indicating only one color. If they were like the pre-58 Corvette belts, they were probably blue-gray.

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Cecil, the ones in my Blue 61 are blue-gray they are stamped Shore-Calnevar Inc. I don't know where they came from. Larry

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Usually Irving Air Chute, but may be other suppliers.
I may have some.
Just to add to the confusion, the 61 I bought used in late 63 had the Irving Air Chute belts. Car was Blk with red interior, the reason I remember back then no one used the belts and it took only one run and I had it on. I always wondered why the Irving Air tag was on there, kind of strange to an 18 year old kid. I the car was a factory 348 3x2 335HP 4speed car. Never thought if they were factory or dealer installed, it was a St Louis built car.