See The USA In Your Chevrolet

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Here are a few pictures of the trip to Thompson and back. I'll add some information about the gas mileage when I have time to calculate it.

Here we are in the small B.C. town of Grand Forks. We had a great "Russian" lunch at the local Hotel restaurant.

335152283.jpg
[/IMG]

This was taken at a pull out somewhere in Montana

335152289.jpg
[/IMG]

One of my favorite pictures, I'll have a blow up made for the wall. Those Harley's don't have anything on a 409 car.

335152294.jpg
[/IMG]

Parked across the street from a great Mexican Restaurant in Minnesota. The food was great but we'll remember this place for the Margureta's....... When you order a "house size" how big can it be ?????

335152295.jpg
[/IMG]

and we arrive at Thompson.......
335152300.jpg
[/IMG]

335152301.jpg
[/IMG]

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The Margarita's ........... how big can they be.......

Attachments

• 12222.jpg
    12222.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 54

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What an amazing feat!! You guys that drove those long distances deserve some sorta reward or trophy!!!!:clap

And,, like you say,,, Got To See The USA in my Chevrolet!!!:cheers

Someday I hope I can make another trip like that,,,

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The trip was more than fantastic.......... I'd do it again in a NY minute !!!

Dave

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice Dave- but that marguerita might slow you down a bit. Awesome trip, how many miles?

I'll guess you did 12 MP Imperial gallon.

Don

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Nice Dave- but that marguerita might slow you down a bit. Awesome trip, how many miles?

I'll guess you did 12 MP Imperial gallon.

Hey Don............ it's the first time ever that Ken and I didn't finish a drink...... I swear there was at least 8 oz of tequilla in that drink !!! We left well over 1/2 of it. We tried to talk the waitress into giving us a couple of paper cups so we could take the remainder with us...... didn't work.

You're probably a little low on the mileage.......rough calculations during the trip came out at 13 - 15 on a US gallon........ but there was some guessing going on there........ you have to remember I have the 700R4 and 3.55 gears........ 70 MPH was only about 2300 RPM......... the speedometer in the car wasn't working. I have all the gas receipts and will figure out the exact miles off of Google Maps when I have time.

Dave

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Dave, the picture of the car with the Thompson sign in the back round is classic! I'm sorry that I didn't get to talk to you more, I swear I'm going to leave the car home in 2011.

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm so jealous

:clap Very nice pics. The one in Montana Takes me back to 73 when i vacationed in the North West I never wanted to come back east after that. We did 10k mies on that trip in 43 days including your neck of the woods.
Great trip glad you enjoyed your trip.:)

S

Swiss Impala

Nice drink for breakfast :roll:crazy

Fantastic trip I can imagine, congratulation!!:clap:bow:clap

But, there should be more pictures from about 8500 kilometers!:?
We want to see more! :clap

By the way, congratulation to the Lady in Red too. She had to do most of the
work. Typical Late Great Chevy!!!

Franz

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Historic Trip !!!

Dave,

Great pictures, I'll bet you have more to share with us, please do !!!!! :cheers:cheers It was sure nice meeting you and seeing your car, she a great road car for sure. Maybe next year we can cruise together, coast to coast !!!:cool:

I'd like to talk to you some more about your changes to get the car running cooler. Drop me an email at: My Email when you get a chance.

Thanks for sharing
Bill

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hi Franz,
Yes, the "Lady in Red" did most of the work.......... and she performed like a champ.

When I left home for Thompson I don't think there was 400 miles on the car since I had put it together. The first leg of the journey was to Ken's place in Kelowna. It's a steep mountain pass, 4 lane highway, driven at 110- 125 KPH (70 - 75 MPH) by most people. Because of traffic I had not driven the car over about 105 - 108 KPH ( 65 MPH) before I left, but it drove good. That night when I hit about 115 KPK (72 - 72 MPH)........I had never in my life felt a car shake that bad....... that car shook so bad you could hardly sit in the seat.......... I was having all kinds of thoughts for the 3 1/2 hour drive....... 700R4 spinning the driveshaft to fast....... something wrong with the 3.55 diff (only had 50 miles on it)....... It was he worst shake I had ever felt. It honestly felt like a 2 lb hammer attached to the driveshaft, hitting the frame on each revolution........ I drove at 110 KPH (65 MPH) with all kinds of thought of what could be wrong. The next morning I had the tires balanced properly and it fixed the problem. What a relief that was.............

We had the little heating issue when we drove through Chicago. That's already in another post.....

I'd like to thank RAMAR for keeping us off the main highway and on the toll road..... Thanks RAY !!!! I missed you and Larry there this year.......... my room mates from the 2009 Thompson shoot out.

The 409 never did anything but run the whole trip........ I think we did about 55-5700 miles in total........... in that time she used 3 quarts of oil. Did an oil change at a friends house in Winnipeg on the way home.........

We drove the speed limit or a little less most of the trip..... it's 75 MPH most of the way across I-90....... anywhere between 2000 RPM and 2400 RPM. We did push her up to 3000 RPM at one point just for fun...... that put us at 150 KPH (90 MPH) on the GPS. My sister did catch us at about 80 MPH at one point and gave us a bad time...... how you ask ??????

I was worried about the car being stolen at some point during the trip. We did very well with Motels all the way and managed to park the car right outside the room. But before we left I installed a Blackline GPS Tracker. It's buried in the car and has no indication of it being there. With the passwords you can go to their website and it will tell you the exact location of the car and how fast it is moving........ very cool system. It will even tell if the car battery has been disconnected.......... If the car moves or gets a good shake my cel phone rings...... We had it go off once during the trip. We were having breakfast across the street from the motel and my cel phone told me we had a "perimeter breach". The car was Ok, sitting by itself and we attributed the breach to a very loud Harley.......... My sister and some friends watched us all the way across........ I highly recommend the system !!!!

We got a million waves, thumbs up, honks and lights flashed at us the whole trip.......

Here's a picture of the Moose Jaw exit off of Highway 1 in Sask. Silly for most of you, but in 1970 the 409 in the car was bought as a new replacement engine for a farm truck at the GM dealership in Moose Jaw.......... little different from the truck engine now, but that's where she came from.

335152375.jpg
[/IMG]

Dave

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dave, the picture of the car with the Thompson sign in the back round is classic! I'm sorry that I didn't get to talk to you more, I swear I'm going to leave the car home in 2011.

Or,,,, leave the Bloddy Mary`s at home!!!:crazy

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dave, the picture of the car with the Thompson sign in the back round is classic! I'm sorry that I didn't get to talk to you more, I swear I'm going to leave the car home in 2011

Ray, you were a busy guy.......... thanks for doing the lunch !!!!! I think a meet and greet as suggested in another post would be great for next year. While the racing is going on it's hard to get around to see everybody.

Dave

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Great pictures Dave!! Love the size of those Margaritas! Definitely need a designated driver after one of those! :crazy

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I finally had time to do some calculations regarding the trip. With all of our side ventures, according to Google Maps we did a total of 5,891 miles. Total fuel used was 453 U.S. gallons................... total fuel bill = $1362.00

13 MPG on a U.S. gallon
15.6 MPG on an Imperial gallon
18.9 litres per 100 Kilometers

The trip started out better, but the overall average dropped considerably. The first leg of the trip through the mountains it did:
15.4 MPG on a U.S. gallon
18.2 MPG on an Imperial gallon
15.5 litres/100 K

Couple of reasons for this....... for the first part of the trip I drove at 60 MPH maximum, at times 55 MPH going through some of the winding country roads we took. Once we got onto I-90 it was a constant 70 to 75 MPH (and that was most of the trip).... also the first part of the trip we used Chevron 94 Octane gas...... once into the U.S it was hard to find anything better than 92.

Also if you read the post by Nuts and the overheating ....... I posted about an ignition knock that developed during the trip. Turns out the MSD wasn't getting a full 12 volts because of a faulty ignition switch. I'm sure the mileage would be a little better even at the higher speed if the ignition system would have been working properly................

With the MSD getting full voltage I would bet a 409 intake gasket & 4 Canadian Beer that the car would get an easy 16 MPG per U.S gallon on a reasonably flat road if driven between 60 & 65 MPH.

Dave