Sending unit/float arm

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Over the winter I have some projects I'm going to do on my '62. One of which is to get a better reading on my gas gauge. I've replaced the gauge and sending unit but it still reads about 1/4 tank off. The 1/4 tank mark on the gauge, is actually the new empty mark. For better accuracy, there is nothing left for me to do but try and match what the gauge says to what I know is left in the tank. I'm going to attempt this by bending the float arm. Which way do I want to bend it; up or down?? I think I want it bent down, longer but I'm not sure. This really gives me a headache. Thanks, Carmine.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine, you would need to bend the arm so the float will be up higher to allow the arm to drop further, lowering you gauge reading. I would suggest picking up a cheap inspection camera from Harbor Freight and after draining the tank, use the inspection camera to look through the filler tube to see if the float is dropping all the way while in the tank. This worked really well when we were checking Mike's '67. We could see exactly how far we needed to bend the float arm to get the gauge to read accurately.

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
10207.jpg
Just have it looking like this . You will show empty and still have some gas left , that is the way it is supposed to be. Have the float facing away from the filter so your float won't lay on float. The filter will be lower than float.Don't make rod longer just bend the very end to be as picture. if you have one on yet.Picture is a 62 sender.

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
When the tank is full is the gauge at full or over full?

When full, the gauge reads overfull. Past the full mark by a good margin. I have to drive it a while before it begins to register on the gauge markings. I know the 1/4 mark is the new empty. Had to learn the hard way. When it was at the 1/2 mark, I drained the tank once and took out about 5 gallons. I now know where it registers and for what quantity, not really a big deal, but if I could make it more accurate by bending something, I'd give that a try. Thanks Don and Jim, Carmine.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Maybe its just me thinking but if it goes over full maybe you should adjust the gauge not the sending unit.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Carmine i would get the low setting corrected and chances are the full reading will fall into place . I would not be concerned how it register's on full only on the empty reading.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Maybe its just me thinking but if it goes over full maybe you should adjust the gauge not the sending unit.
I did a previous posting of this issue and it generated many, many threads. I think I've done everything humanly possible. I replaced the gauge with a NOS one from AC Delco still in the box. Replaced the sending unit at least twice; maybe 3 times. I happen to think the sending unit is the problem. Hate to say it, but more junk from China. I've checked the sender with an ohm meter and it seemed ok. Worked outside the tank. So, what I think I'll do is buy a camera from HF and see where everything rest inside the tank then go from there. I see me bending the float rod to coincide with the amount of gas in the tank. It's really not a big deal but I would like to get it properly working if possible. I will report back, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine i would get the low setting corrected and chances are the full reading will fall into place . I would not be concerned how it register's on full only on the empty reading.
Don, that is exactly my objective. I would like it to register empty when empty or close to it; not at the 1/4 tank mark. It's just irritating but livable if it can't be corrected, Carmine.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Carmine just take the sender out and connect the wires as needed turn key on adjust the float as the picture I posted and watch the dash gauge let it hang down and your dash guage should show on empty mark,....you can recheck your ohm reading on sender just to make sure it goes from empty 0 ohm to full 30 ohm and is still ok on the sender itself..do you still have the filter folded over ,it need 's to clear the float.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
If your guage reads empty with sender hanging down but changes when you put in tank then your filter is pushing up the float bottoming out on bottom of tank. of course empty tank ust giving you some checks to make.

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
10207.jpg
Just have it looking like this . You will show empty and still have some gas left , that is the way it is supposed to be. Have the float facing away from the filter so your float won't lay on float. The filter will be lower than float.Don't make rod longer just bend the very end to be as picture. if you have one on yet.Picture is a 62 sender.

Interesting picture. Had to study it a while, but I do see what you mean by facing the float away. I don't recall which way my float faces but I will soon. Thanks, Carmine.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Interesting picture. Had to study it a while, but I do see what you mean by facing the float away. I don't recall which way my float faces but I will soon. Thanks, Carmine.
You will also notice that when the float is at empty position at very bottom the filter will be below the float about a inch.guessing on the inch,,,,,,so when the float is at very bottom when gas level is down and showing empty on dash gauge you will still have a little gas left in tank.

Jeffrey Osstyn

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I to am having issues with my gauge reading incorrectly, reads high. So first thing to do is find the wire from gauge to sending unit, mine is brown on my '63. Now disconnect it somewhere between the gauge and tank, I found it at a under dash connector, I ran a jumper from wire to a good ground. Turn the key to run and watch the gauge. If it doesn't read empty there is nothing you can do in the tank to make it any better, the problem is outside the tank. Is the gauge adjustable? Is there resistance between the gauge and the wire that I grounded, maybe, will need to access the back of gauge to find out.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Scotch tape with magic marker marks at E...1/2...F. Maybe use a Red Marker at E. Use thin lines for accuracy. :crazy

Lt.FrankDrebin

Well Known Member
I say if at empty and at full your gauge is showing above where it should be, bend your float arm upwards so that the sender will tell the gauge that the fuel level is lower. Or, bend the gauge needle.

Jeffrey Osstyn

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The float in the tank is a variable resistor, low resistance makes the gauge read closer to empty, it you touch the wire from the gauge to ground that is the lowest resistance you are going to get. Nothing you do inside the tank with the float will get the resistance value to go any lower. So, if the gauge does not read empty with the wire touching a good ground the problem is outside of the tank.