Shafers Classic Reproductions Shipping costs

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
ordered two small items received the items in fine shape. The problem I have is the shipping chatges.
Two exhaust donuts less than a pound. Total cost 18.00 for the par. Shipping was just under 20.00.
when I phoned the order in never told that. The discount rate thru a pay service is a bit over ten dollars. Vendors should not make this profit on shipping.

bobs409

Administrator
A pet peeve of mine! Something like that should ship first class or small flat Priority. Some business's only ship with one company like UPS and YOU PAY!!!

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I stopped ordering things from certian vendors that make bank off the shipping, handling, and the mark up on the parts...

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just my 2¢ worth. If you run a business that ships item on a regular basis you will understand,
I ship UPS & USPS. USPS small & medium flat rate boxes work well for me for items that I know will "fit". They cost $10.20 & $17.10 respectively. I charge $11 & $18 & drive 4 blocks to the post office, mainly trying to save the customer $ versus shipping UPS. Anything I ship UPS incurs a $5 "handling fee" per shipment whether 1 or 3 packages. That is to recover costs of boxes I purchase, tape, staples, the weekly $16 fee that UPS charges to come by and possibly some of the 2.7-3% fee that my credit card processor takes out of every sale.
I hear what you are saying, I don't like paying shipping costs either. All the places offer FREE shipping, it's not free, you are paying for that, it's just not a line item on your invoice. I plugged a 1# package, going 10 miles down the road into UPS. To a residence was $15.66, to a business was $11.62, why the $4.04 difference. You think UPS is expensive now, wait until they all get air conditioned trucks! Not saying they don't deserve such, just saying. I told my pickup driver in the afternoon that he better take a garden hose to himself when he gets home, he is that dirty/dusty.
When I order small items I ask if they offer USPS to save on shipping costs. Not wanting to offend anyone, just stating facts.
Jeff

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
As a small business owner, I deal with 9 different shippers. There is no such thing as one size fits all. Ultimately businesses have a hard time finding the best price based on items shipped because most places ship more than one item. Some businesses are geared toward the person that buys several large items and no so much for the people that only buy a few clips. I worked in a warehouse for a short spell where the muilti-million dollar company had the best way to send everything. With a small team and a high tech shipping program they were making money coming and going with shipping while keeping the (perceived cost to customer) down. Anyone that wants shipping nightmare stories, I have countless ones. Just received a single yard of material that took 4 weeks to get here because they kept messing up the shipping. FOR ONE YARD! 3 x36 tube they couldn't figure out how to get here from 3 states over. Some companies are better at hiding/controlling costs and the quality of the delivery better than others. The 2020 pandemic created this mess because it was much better before this. No so many shippers have changed the way they do business to keep up with the times and more people shop online exclusively. These issues and problems won't ever go away.

bobs409

Administrator
Let's also mention how usps and the rest keeping raising rates about twice a year!

Seriously, when will it end???? Will $20 to ship a small flat rate box be enough? I doubt it! They will still be saying they are going broke and need more. And when the usps goes up (twice a year), you can bank all the others will go too!

This country is in such a mess I really don't see things ending well. The America we knew has left the building!

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
As a small business owner, I deal with 9 different shippers. There is no such thing as one size fits all. Ultimately businesses have a hard time finding the best price based on items shipped because most places ship more than one item. Some businesses are geared toward the person that buys several large items and no so much for the people that only buy a few clips. I worked in a warehouse for a short spell where the muilti-million dollar company had the best way to send everything. With a small team and a high tech shipping program they were making money coming and going with shipping while keeping the (perceived cost to customer) down. Anyone that wants shipping nightmare stories, I have countless ones. Just received a single yard of material that took 4 weeks to get here because they kept messing up the shipping. FOR ONE YARD! 3 x36 tube they couldn't figure out how to get here from 3 states over. Some companies are better at hiding/controlling costs and the quality of the delivery better than others. The 2020 pandemic created this mess because it was much better before this. No so many shippers have changed the way they do business to keep up with the times and more people shop online exclusively. These issues and problems won't ever go away.

Lots of buyers just like to complain. I have a very discounted UPS account and it's about 50% discount from standard rates. I pass the discounted rate along. When shipping 80lbs from Calif to the east coast for around $75 people will complain, the actual standard cost is about $120.