Sharing an older..."What a rush" experience.

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
What a rush.

The mid 60's is when small block chevys triggered my interest. Note that in 1967 there were alot of older cars still around. Nobody replaced their car as often as they do now.

Older brother's friend had a brand new 1967 Beaumont convertible. I still wonder how he go the money to afford this. Blue exterior, white interior-327 4-speed, ..wouldn't have known the rear gears. The driver had my brother sit in front, I was in the back..the top was down. Remember, 10 yrs old and limited exposure to this "stuff".

Long strip of black top. He started from a stand-still. Lots of rubber and engine. He went through the gears like he meant to win a ¼ mile race. I've never travelled that fast on land in my life, at the time, and was somewhat hearing impaired for several minutes due to the noise of the engine and the rush of open air in the back seat. (seatbelts were not mandatory).

All of us were suitably impressed. My older brother had a mild 170hp - 283-powerglide, in a full size chevy...so this was pretty much a "warp speed" experience for us.

These 327's were marketed at certain advertised horsepower levels, which when reportedly tested on a "dyno" were supposed to be actually somewhat higher.

Whatever the results, these engines were apparently the precursor to the Hi-po 302's. Depending on weight, trans, rear-end gears and tires, these engines could give the competitive small block/big block a "run" for the money.

P.S. I have had one of these engines but unused for years and needs a rebuild. I hope someday to freshen it up and have some fun with it.

RCE

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
"Older brother's friend had a brand new 1967 Beaumont convertible."

RCE, It just occured to me that alot of people wouldn't know what a 1967 Beaumont was. :scratch The Beamont was a Canadian Pontiac that was almost the same as a Chevelle. They had a different dash, grill, tailites, hubcaps etc. but they were pretty much a Chevelle and they had Chevrolet drivetrain.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Rce

that story reminds me of my buddies 62 ss 327 4 speed conv. he stopped by early one summer morning and wanted me to take a ride in it. it was completely restored but he didn't have the interior in it yet, just two old ratty bucket seats and no conv. top. i was still working on my 2nd cup of coffee but i said yes lets go. we backed out the driveway he put it in 1st gear and nailed it. he shifted through the gears, we were headed for one ditch and then the other. at about a 100 mph he let off it. scared the hell out of me, my coffee cup was empty, the front of my shirt was soaking wet, what a rush! looking back on it, that is to me, a fun memory. and he is still one of my buddies.

M

Mr.Jimmy

I remember dad in his LS6 taking me out in the country when I was 12ish.. Stopping, doing huge smokey burn outs...then winding the snot out of it down a 3 mile stretch of road..... I think about it today, it had to been going 145-150....

3 years ago.... I get done with replacing the clutch in my 69 GTO convert, dads wants to be the lucky one to test drive the hi-end clutch.. Takes it out slams 1,2nd, and misses third...."Kid you need a new shifter and that dual force clutch stinks...you wasted $300 on that kit".... "Dad...I think I need a motor"...bent valves when she over-reved the snot out of it. I swear it must of hit 8 grand before she slowed down. The 15 year old neighbor kid in the back seat was smiles...It was worth it for his smile on his face....like when I was 12....Even though it costed me another $2500.

:stooges

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
To: Jim SS409

Thanks for clarifying that. You're absoluetly right about the Beaumont/Chevelle thing.

You know...I suppose this car is what did it for me, in terms of "imprinting" in my mind, at a young age, a classy car, complete with an engine with "teeth". I learned later that it was a Hi-perf 327.

I guess I filed this for future reference, since the years that followed included a 1967-327 engine installed in a 1962 Impala SS.

This ±2-ton car, and this engine, with a 3-speed TH-matic with a shift kit, raised more than a few eyebrows on Saturday nights.

I guess I was trying to simulate that earlier "rush" in that Beaumont, many years previous.

Looking back... most if not, all were good memories, with that car.

RCE

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
To: Gearhead 409

The story regarding the 62' 4-speed car, and the coffee, was absolutely priceless. I'm with Bob re: LoL. I Found myself recalling the situation you described and that painted a pretty vivid picture. Still laughing!

Thanks for your reply.

RCE1962.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
What a rush.

Something that stands out in my memory was the night in Erie Pa. 1965 I was 16 years old. We used to hang out on State st. that was the main drag, with drag being the key word here! We called it bugging state! I was at the south end of state st. the last light before leaving town. We were on foot, no ride yet. We were just past a RR overpass so we could not see the light but we could hear it coming! What came into sight was a 1965 light Metalic blue Pontiac 2X2 and he was cranking! The Poncho was a 4 speed car and I remember when he whacked 2nd gear the licence plate door where the gas fill was, flopped open with the force of that 421 Tripowers torque and a bit of gas shot out. With the street lights shining on that beautiful paint and chrome I was hooked. I have loved those beautiful big Pontiacs ever since. :love

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I also have a memory of a 65 Pontiac 2+2, 421cu,4speed and tripower.It was in 1966 and I was 17 years old and a friend borrowed this 2+2 from a older that he hung out with, this older guy also bought beer for us all the time.( I think the guy must have been gay ) :dunno We went for a booze cruise looking for drag races on main street.The first drag was against a Ford and we left him in the dust,boy that 2+2 would fly :D The second drag race was against a 63 Biscane ( no 409 flags ) he beat us by 2 car lengths by 3rd gear :eek: .We just let him go,never did find out what he had under the hood :dunno

It was summer, 1974 ( I was 14 ), Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba...
Riding in the back seat of my Uncle's 69 Nova SS396 ( 375HP /stick ). He pulled up beside the gas pumps at the dealership where he worked as a mechanic... Nice cement ya'know. Without any warning whatsoever, he drops the hammer and goes nuts... 7000 RPM through the parking lot
Stops at the stop sign, looks back at me... big s*** eating grin on his face :D ( BTW... he's 56, STILL will drive like this on occasion... still has never had a car accident :beerbang ).
Well, that was a rush... actually it scared the snot out of me.

Fast forward to summer 1999, Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba...
I have my Belair with a 7000 RPM 409 / 4.56's...
Invite my uncle for a ride in it ( he ALWAYS thought a 409 was an "old man's car" ).
We pull out onto the highway...
3500 RPM in 1st... without any warning whatsover, 7000 RPM, take 2nd take 3rd.. flywheeling the tires, using both lanes, the car slips to a 45 deg angle to the road, I straighten out, casual shift into 4th... look at him with a big s*** eating grin :D ...
and say, "There, we're even" :takethat :roll

Here are the cars:

M

Mr.Jimmy

That was pretty good Aubrey..... :D Its those memorys that never die within us...that will always be 100% with us for the next 40-50 years. Hopefully your son will have some good storys in the next 20 years...hahaa

Hey JimK... I forgot to mention.... I think we ALL KNOW what was in that Biscayne :p

Thanks Mr Jimmy
Oh yes, my monsters will have some stories. Seem to be gravitating to the 'ol Hayes though :dunno ;) . Like a couple weeks ago, when I took Cynthia and Donovan for a ride in it, out to the truck stop about 10 miles away, in the middle of no-where. I thought I'd go a little farther down the highway ( cold, but nice and clean & dry ). About 20 miles away, I decided it was time to turn around... so I stopped and backed down a short "driveway" approach into a farm yard. HHHMM :? ... that was weird. Brakes feel squishey... no stopping power... just kept going back :dunno .
Fortunately, the brakes were just fine.
Unfortunately, the last 30 ft of the "driveway" had 2 inches thick solid glare ice on it.
An hour later ( not a lot of traffic on this highway at 9:00 PM ), we got a ride back home. Had to go back out with a friend and his 3 ton tow truck. Used a chain, and he pulled me out. ( I was only about 30 ft from the highway ) :doh

Now when we go for a ride, my little guy doesn't want to turn around :(

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
57 Chevy with a 330 Old's in it! That car rocked! From there on it's been an adventure!!

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
summer 1976........my friend at school is giving me a ride to work in his 67 chevelle SS396. it has a transplanted 427-425 and super T-10. we have this special place in town to get on a car hard and get away with it. i take him on a detour thru there one day, just to show him the place........he get's on it.....but has no coordination for grabbin gears. his daddy got him the car and he tore it up alot. it was painful to hear those gears beggin for mercy......i'm tellin him "dude. cut that out" "lemme show you how to do it" of course, he did'nt want to hear that. and days later at school, he begins to ask what i would do different, i did'nt want to dog him... so i offered to adjust the clutch for him as that could be the problem. i set the clutch to grab about an inch from the floor. he offers me a ride to work that i needed an d wants me to drive it. that little car fit me like a glove.... off we went and he wants me to make the detour............buckle up fella..he he he ...i line the car up in the center an d floor it, stab the clutch to break the tires loose, watching to keep rpms on 7000..car goes sideways...steer into it, yank second without a blink, car goes sideways the other way.. steer into it, tach on 7, grab third.. again without a skip in the black marx.... bring it back straight and get 4th. i look over and he's white asa sheet and has a death grip on the dash. by now, were rollin so i let off and coast her down to the 35 speed limit. he says rather excitedly, G#D D##M i did'nt think my car would do that!!!! i'm doing my best to stay composed and tell him, "i think it works pretty good" you might want to practice. for all the years after that on the street and at the drags, i drove the car. not sure if he ever got the hang of it.

M

Mr.Jimmy

Does it count that I have been the "Designated decoy" before??? :brow

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
High school 1969,,,,,

55 Chevy2 dr SW,,,,,,

HiPo 283,,, soap box seat (driver),,,,, gas can on inner fender as tank,,,,

I`m sitting on the passenger floor,,,,,

launch,,, I launch,,,, grabbing gears,,,I`m grabing at anything,,, rolling towards the back thrashing around like a beer can down a cliff !!!

WOW WHAT A RIDE !!!

this was a good start to know what a bad a** small block can do !!:roll

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"I also have a memory of a 65 Pontiac 2+2, 421cu,4speed and tripower.It was in 1966 and I was 17 years old"

Fatride & Jim,
A 65 Pontiac!!!! boy, that brings back a flood of memories for me. I was involved with NASCAR roundy round racing from 1962 until 1990. We raced mostly Pontiac's and back in the mid sixties, I worked for a guy named Worth McMillion, he had 2 Pontiac's, a 64 and a 65, he drove the primary car and when he ran both cars, I got to drive the second car. We were running the Grand National division which at the time was the top division in NASCAR and later turned in to the Winston and now the Nextel Cup. We quit running that division in 69 because of the costs and started racing the local division. I continued to field cars in the late model sportsman division until 1990. I attached a photo of me with the 65 Pontiac that was taken before the race at the old fairgrounds race track in Richmond. It was May 15th 1966, I finished 12th, David Pearson won and Richard Petty was second.
I wasn't worth a hoot at driving race cars but I wouldn't take a million dollars for the experience!!!!!

Attachments

• tommy.02.jpg
    tommy.02.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 92

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Your The MAN, Tommy!

thanx for sharing with the class.
when i posted this thread earlier, i realize i posted from the wrong point of view. since i started out riding down the track at full blast in my dad's aluminum nose super/stock dodge in 63 at the age of 5, i've been harder than average to scare. many have tried, and i've been in some nasty crashes while i was a passenger, and a few nasty ones while i was driving. 1 week after setting the national record on my harley XR1000 super stocker, i shoved it under a gaurdrail at over a hundred. it went under, i went over. my family begged me to quit racing bikes after totaling 4 of them. my 2 stroke triple kawasaki went 9.70s @140 then i took up dirt drags and wound up track champion for 3 years. from there i rode a nitro burning top fuel twin engine triumph. (i should probably post a pic of that one) my mom pleaded with me to quit bikes, i told her i had...then she saw me in national dragster and gave it to me good.
so i took up drag racing boats. that fixed her good.
as a kid, a guy in the 'hood had a kit car called a Valkyre. it looked like a gt-40 and had a factory injected 327 with a corvair transaxle. so cool, i begged a ride, we blast off down the street... i tell him i live to the right. "OK he says" i say make a right, "OK" i say your miss the turn! he says "NO problem" very calmly. I
m pretty sure were gonna slide thru the corner front yard and smash into the house. with out even a blink, he turns this thing at about 60 mph and it doesnt even scratch a tire! jeez, i've never been around a turn like that before or since.
sorry if i'm droning on........... i always made it a habit to make a memory every day incase that's all i had left when i get old.