She`s so Fine !!?? B.S. !!!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Anyone seen the NEW Impala SS comercial using the Beach Boys 409 song?? What a pile of CRAP !! Using THAT song to sell a V-6 powered front wheel drive pile !!

" She`s So Sad,,,My 4.3 !! ,,,,dq

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
You can bet nobody's gonna write a song about a 2003 Impala.:evil Well maybe... "My 6 cyl. front drive, automatic, four door car" No I guess not.

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks for mentioning this dq. I saw it the other night and was too sickened to say anything. :(

We can't blame the car makers too much. (other than brainwashing most of the population for the past 25 years) After all, people are falling for this garbage. Every second commercial is for another cookie cutter car. I hit the mute button and turn my head! No wonder the prices are so high. Paying for all that TV time is expensive!

And some of the stupid commercials. Most times, the commercial has nothing to do with a car. Then there's the ones where they have a professional driver spinning the car around implying that it's so fun and fast... spinning the tires...blacked out windows so dark, you probably couldn't even drive the thing. :rolleyes: What a crock! "performed by a professional driver on a closed road. Do not attempt this" bull $hit!

They already ruined good names like the Malibu and Impala. Now the Impala SS. Why not ruin a good song too?

But like I said, it's partly the consumers fault. They are more concerned on how many cup holders the damn thing has over if it has a frame under it. Plastic, plastic and more plastic...

Long live the old Chevy!!!

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Another thing is that the new cars have a computor that can be used against you in court. The police in Fl. used the computor which kept a record of how fast the guy was going before the crash and convicted him in court on that evidence.:cuss Roy

ss409cid

Well Known Member
Old American Steel forever, ricers & plastic never. Its a shame that the American car manufactures are trying to pass off these new cars as legends of the past, Take the new GTO that GM is planning. What a kick in the butt for a legendary nameplate. They couldnt even find an American design to base it on, so they had to use some Assie piece of crap. No offense to those down under, but a GTO with an English accent......Please tell me its not so.
I Have always been a GM man through and through, and Im about through with GM. The only decent retro style car that I have set my butt in in the last 10 years, please dont ban me from this site for saying this, is the 02 & 03 T-bird. They are nifty and nimble with some 50s flare, but Ford cant give them away. Maybe to pricey.
I too hate to see my favorite Beach Boys tune used to push GMs worthless crap. But I still listen to Giddy Up over and over again when Im in the garage working on or cleaning my 62. Maybe I should send a tape of that to GM and they would get the message. Heres to us real car owners........
:cheers .....SS

62BillT

Well Known Member
I thought the same thing when I first saw that commercial. Disrespectful. One way of fighting back on these non desireable, plastic, computerized newer cars is to do what myself and a lot of my friends do. DON'T BUY ANY. To this date I have not owned anything newer than 1972. We just keep repairing, rebuilding and restoring our old ones. If enough people joined together, we could send a good message to the auto makers. They don't like to get hit in the pocket book. Which reminds me of another thing. I was in a newer type junk yard recently and was amazed on what I saw. I stood in the center and looked around and there were hundreds, if not thousands of cars from about 1989 to 1999 and I then realized that auto makers have accomplished all what we figured they were trying to do. Create and sell "Throw Away Cars". America has become too much of a throw away society and now they have got people to throw away their cars too. And not to keep going on, but talk about cost!! Cars today cost what, not that long ago, we were paying for houses. Enough said for now.

bobs409

Administrator
Amen to that Bill! I agree with every single word you just typed! :D

There just aren't enough car guys (or sensible people) to do anything about it. Too many just want a new car to use for 2 years and trade it in again for the newest model. These people don't impress me one bit but they probably think they do. Ohh, look at me, I just paid $30,000 dollars for this car made from recycled Clorox jugs. :D

What amazes me is how many people seem to be able to afford these POS cars. (of course, now a days, it's buy now, pay later) Do away with financing and see how many they sell! Obviously, most are getting paid too much money if they can piss it away like this.

I get a kick out of people that buy a car cover or something similar to protect their new car. Like their gonna keep it or something. :rolleyes: There's a guy in the next town that religiously covers his (I don't know what it is-something foreign) new car. It's just gonna be the shiniest pile of crap in the junkyard. :p

And while it amuses me to see these in the junkyard (where they belong) they are partly responsible for yard owners getting rid of older cars to make room. Damn new cars are dangerous to our hobby in alot of ways! :mad:

I could go on and on but I have more important things to do than discuss garbage. :D I have to go wrench on my 409 a bit to relax.

BTW, the newest car I own is a 72 and it's staying that way! I only own real cars. :cheers

crawler

I haven't seen the commercial your all talking about, but this brings up a theme that seems to be running through a few other commercials lately. There are three in particular that come to mind. First one I saw about a year and a half ago - It was for the 'new' Chevy Impala. A guy test driving the new 'beauty' while reminiscing about his father's Impala (we see a fast moving collage of beautiful, OLD Impalas that make our eyeballs pop). As soon as the fast moving, slick and cool collage ends, they pathetically try to keep it going by adding on more quick n' slick images of the 'new' one (as though the new one is on par with the classics!) NOT!

The next one was based around the ghost of Harley Earl, coming back to us and announcing he has come back to create the new Buick, (or somthing like that). Again, pathetic, that the only way they think they can seduce us in the present is to link us with the past and suggest the new stuff is the latest and greatest piece of the classic lineage! NOT! What an insult to the genious of Harley Earl!

The third one is for new Chevy trucks, where they show Dad at the rodeo and his new truck that will one day be handed down to his son after thirty years of hard work (we see a shot of a '65 4X4 that has lasted dad a good 35 years to suggest the new one will do the same) NOT! What will happen in several years when one of the hundreds? of electronic components under the hood of that truck starts acting up and it takes a team of NASA sientists to figure out what's wrong? Too expensive to figure it out? - just scrap it and buy another one with the plastic money.

Interesting times, they are a comin'. . .

crawler

bobs409

Administrator
Saw those too crawler. Those Buick ones get under my skin! There are quite a few of them. I think Harley Earl would be turning over in his grave if he saw the cars they make today. Don't you think it's disrespective to use a dead guy to sell cars? :(

Ugh! I just remembered the other one you mentioned. The one that shows glimpses of a '59. The fat guy buying a new Impala. The lady sales"woman" is telling him about the car but he's not interested in hearing it, he says..."I'll take it, this is my car". Duh!

Theres another commercial that shows 4 black guys sitting in a 64 convertible and a lady in a new Impala pulls up along side stopped at a red light. This is one of those really queer commercials. The black guy looks over at the new Impala and then turns away. He has more of a dis-interested look on his face if you ask me. Unless I read it wrong, he didn't look too impressed with the new one. Was it supposed to make me think he liked it? Very strange...

I believe there is another one with a red '64 convertible with some young guys in it? I don't think I saw that one on tv, but it might be in print and used in magazines.

Let's not forget the other trend to sell new cars, using classic songs in the commercial. Now whenever I hear Led Zepplin, I think of a Cadillac. :( And who can ever get the annoying sound of Bob Seger's "like a rock" out of their head. Or the song that has "I drove my Chevy to the levy" in it to sell a Cavalier... (there's more too)

What's next??? :rolleyes:

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yeh,,,the Buick,,,,Do you even think most new car buyers even know who Earl is ?? Or care??

Here`s a good one,,,,
I drive a lot so I run across a lot of cars under car covers,,,like the earlier post,,,,and when it`s a classic only a second passes and I know whats underneath without ever seeing anything but the shape !!!
But when it`s a newer car,,,it`s Just a BLOB of unreconizable crap!!,,,,dq

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My next car.....???

Hey. I've been thinking about buying a new Impala SS. I already have a 95 SS. For a car that weights nearly 4400 pounds at the track, it goes pretty good (14.7)(1/4). I built it from 1 and a half cars. As far as Buick. My dad has an 01 regal super charged. It is FAST with Class. It is a nice car. If the new SS runs as good.... I will never have a new '62 409. But I could have the future. ( remember 15 or 20 years a go you could buy a 64 impala SS for little of nothing and now look)

FYI.... the first time I saw the commercial I all most barfed. Some things should be sacred:D

Look. With all the regulations and crap the government throws at the manufacturers. There lucky to get anything close what a real car should be. Need I mention the Nova and LaMans of the 80s or the Malibu.:cry And where is the Camaro and Firebird....

Oh... anybody see the Mercury Marauder yet? Wow what a car. Maybe I'll trade the SS for a merc. ;)