Shear Plates

mr348-409

Well Known Member
Has anyone used Shear Plates under the carburetor to help with the bog and backfire problem that comes with a tunnel ram type intake? Any ideas or input is appreciated. Thanks.

61-63

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Shear plates help with atomizing the fuel as it leaves the base of the carburetor I'm not sure how much they help with bog or backfire. But I'm not the expert here so will be interested in what others have to say.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Shear plates are to help settel the pulse in the intake and increase the signal to the carburetors.
If you are stomping the throttle from idle and have a stumble you need to get a bigger accelerator pump shot to cover the slow moving air through the carburetors until the air speeds up. Or you need to be leaving at a higher RPM.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I have tuned many dual quad/tunnel ram set ups. Shear plates won’t help your symptoms. You need more tuning. Either carbs, timing, or ignition issues in my opinion. Tunnel rams are a different animal altogether, as you are finding out.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Shear plates or anti reversion plates are meant to help isolate the carb from pulses in the intake. Like others said, they won't fix your problem. You have other issues.

wristpin

Well Known Member
What carbs are on it? Newer Holley acc pump squirters that have longer style nozzles will help with initial atomization as will blocking the lower 3 levels of idle fuel holes in metering blocks. The rest is as the other guys said

mr348-409

Well Known Member
The car has dual quick 850s on it now have tried 650 750 and800 edelbrocks over the years ,different intakes higher stall motor has this bog and backfire just bringing it up on the 2 step unless I have it running at 1800 rpm at idle and leave then at 5500 then it will go Even changed the cam timing from 109 to 112 which is straight up on the marks this made it worse Open for new ideas for the winter

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Backfire through the carb or exhaust? Does it only backfire on the two step or when you come off of it? When on the two step do you have the throttle all the way open?

mr348-409

Well Known Member
The backfire is like a huge bog when you just step on the motor when you bring it up on the 3 step or it even hesitates real bad when you just open the throttle with no load

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
What ignition system do you have, and what is your plug gap? Do you know what number power valve you have, or are they plugged?

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ralph, we talked about rotor phasing, excellorator pumps. Has it back- fired sense you had a valve job? You put it through a leak down test and it was blowing back up through the intake and carbs. Valves were not seating. It's my personal opinion that the heads are very large!!!! 400cc intake runners, and large intake plenum, fuel isn't atomizing at low r p m. 482 cid and 11.0 compression will require you to leave at higher rpm not off idol. Leave at 5500 and shift at 7500 and see how that works. BIG HEADS REQUIRE MORE AIR AND FUEL.... How many people are running Z-12 heads on less than 500 cid engines. Call Carl he would know. Example: Dart BBC 360cc heads are too big for a 396/427. Referring to intake runner volume.

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I’m not a smart guy but when I had this trouble I changed to an annular booster and the problem almost completely went away even from an idle. If your carbs are dog leg the signal with low vacuum will not pull enough fuel. The annular will help. At least it did for me.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
when I had this trouble I changed to an annular booster and the problem almost completely went away even from an idle. If your carbs are dog leg the signal with low vacuum will not pull enough fuel. The annular will help. At least it did for me.

I'd say you are correct.