shift indicator on 58 chev

lindsay

hi can anybody help me on how the dash shift indicator works on a 58 chev belair, does not appear to be
anywhere on the steering column to attach anything to and cant see anything on the steering lever coffee cup
either. does not show anything in the assembly manual or the shop manual. thanks lindsay

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
There is a pointer raised on the shift collar which is like a rod laying on top of collar pointing down The letters are supposed to be in a window on your cluster in the hump in bottom center . There is no other linkage .I f you need a picture I can get one for you.maybe someone changed steering column's and covered or removed letters on cluster

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
a5a47ed731d53fcb0082beecc2ac6f28.jpg

ragtp66

Well Known Member
There is a chrome piece that clips on to a stud that is on the backside of that hump on the shift bowl. Autocity Classics sells them part number 3080. Interestingly in that photo above that appears to be the wrong instrument cluster pod if you look at the seam and how they do not match up properly there. Like most other parts that are one off for 58 that actually made not one, not two, not three, but FOUR different housings. One is for RHD cars, two is non Impala LHD, three is Impala Sport Coupe, and fourth is Impala Convertible.shiftindicator2.JPG shiftindicator3.JPG shiftindicator2.JPG shiftindicator3.JPG

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
My dad had a biscayne new back in the day ,don't remember it having one , so you are probably correct. Why would there be 4 different one's since they are all automatic transmission???

lindsay

thanks for your reply it helps me a lot. just wondering if you know about the shift indicator lens and weather the P. N. R. D. L. on the lens is a sticker or etched into the plastic.
my problem is i am missing the lens and the car being RHD the letters are going to be in the opposite direction to the LHD vehicle. ITS A BLOODY NIGHTMARE.
THANKS
LINDSAY

Lt.FrankDrebin

Well Known Member
There were four '58 dash cluster housings - one for RHD, one for all non-Impala, one for Impala coupe, and one for Impala convertible. The Impala's front seat actually sat lower than all other body styles, and so, the steering wheel was also lowered. The whole steering column was lowered at the dash area, which is why the Impala had its own dash housing. The Impala convertible had a hole in the dash housingfor the top switch, which was included as part of the casting, therefore, the Impala convertible had its own.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
The lens is actually machined out on the back side and the white lettering. You might be able to use the one for a manual transmission and have someone at a vinyl graphics shop Scan the letters and photoshop them then print a vinyl decal to apply to the plain manual trans lens.