shifter

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hello, Looking for suggestions for a 4 speed shifter for my 63 Belair. Hurst Competition Plus, Hurst Super Shifter, curious about install issues. It will have the factory bench seat. Will 1 of these be compatible with the factory 4 speed "tunnel extension" like Show Cars sells? Are there boots that work with the factory floor hole & a rectangular shifter handle.
Jeff

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
This might stretch around a square shift handle ,it's a Mr gasket. You could probably trim the boot to fit handle also. It would resemble a factory round type boot used in a bench seat car.

Attachments

• 41l1vHgTTSL._AC_SY580_.jpg
    41l1vHgTTSL._AC_SY580_.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Hurst competition plus is by far the best, fits the 4 speed tunnel cover( like the factory shifter), use the hurst flat handle with a hurst boot,( so it wont rip).

Or use the factory 4 speed round boot and a bolt on factory style round handle on the Hurst shifter.
I have lots of pictures I can post.
I have a brand new Hurst competition Plus 4 speed shifter that I will be selling.

It should be noted that the current Hurst completion shifters being sold new do not have the rods and arms marked with the part numbers that tie them to the correct year and model car ( the Hurst patent expired ).
Paul

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I am running a 64 LeMans bench seat 4 speed shifter. It has the same shape as a factory bench seat shifter handle. I like that it's a Hurst, has a round stick (fits the stock boot), has a larger diameter shift knob, and it sits lower coming through the floor. Here's one on eBay. The price is a little optimistic.
Ross

Attachments

• 20220506_203547.jpg
    20220506_203547.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: 327
Hurst competition plus is by far the best, fits the 4 speed tunnel cover( like the factory shifter), use the hurst flat handle with a hurst boot,( so it wont rip).

Or use the factory 4 speed round boot and a bolt on factory style round handle on the Hurst shifter.
I have lots of pictures I can post.
I have a brand new Hurst competition Plus 4 speed shifter that I will be selling.

It should be noted that the current Hurst completion shifters being sold new do not have the rods and arms marked with the part numbers that tie them to the correct year and model car ( the Hurst patent expired ).
Paul
Do you still have shifter available?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have a very nice used Hurst Competition plus 4 speed shifter used on a Muncie 4 speed on my 62 Impala 327 motor.
Its currently with a mint original Muncie 4 speed transmission. Actually both of them are probably for sale.
The shifter is for Muncie 4 speed transmissions with studs(pre 1969) to mount the shifter arms.

Hurst 4 speed shifters are normally tied to a specific year and model but can work on other models with Muncies.
The shifter itself is Hurst # 391-7308 with a bolt on handle.

Paul

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
You can buy the shifter install kit by itself for specific year models. The shofter arms for stud vs bolt on the transmission are different and can be bought separate from a guy online.

Reactions: 327

63409impala

Well Known Member
I have a comp plus shifter on my m22 and the car has a bench seat. What I did for a boot, was get a small boot for like a 68 nova with a console and a 4 speed. It resembles a small version of the Hurst pleated boots. Just cut a small slit in my carpet and tucked the boot between the floor and carpet. Nice, simple and clean.

Attachments

• 20201219_144754.jpg
    20201219_144754.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited: