Shirley Shahan The Drag-On Lady

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Pretty neat. I didn't know she drove a Z11.
I copied this part out of the article...

In 1963, they bought a Z11 Chevy with an aluminum front end that they ran locally while H.L. was tuning for a young hot shoe teen from Tulare, Butch Leal, and for Ronnie Broadhead.

(H. L. was Shirley's husband)

Does anybody have a picture of that car???

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I've never seen a picture of their car. There's very little information about it. It was a Palomar Red car delivered through Three way Chevrolet in Bakersfield CA, the order number was 54956. Rumor has it H.L. sold the car in Texas with a 409 in it and the aluminum front end then used the Z11 in a boat! Current status of the car is unknown.

Raj may have more information.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
When Butch got his Z-11 in 63................he sold his 62 Biscayne to Tom Jacobson.

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have some black and white pics of the Shahan Z-11 I got to dig up and post. Only 2 toned Z-11 assembled, white roof and ember red body and interior. HL never liked that car and sold it soon as the season ended. Shahan was approached by Joe Pike with an offer to get a '63 Z-11 Chevrolet since HL prepared Leal's '62 409 successfully. Shahan jumped on the Z-11 though was later pissed at Chevrolet for pulling the pin on the racing program soon afterwards.

Last edited: