Shock absorber

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hello everyone. Still working on the front end of my '62. Finally got the passenger side almost completely together. Went to get the new shock and removed it from the box. The only thing with it was a nut for the top. I thought there should be a rubber bushing that came with it that goes on the top. The way its machined, kind of looks like something should be there. Looked in the other box; nothing. Went through the garbage and dug one of the old shocks out. No bushing attached. I'm not sure if there was one or not. Took a look inside the spring well and didn't see any bushing that may have attached itself. Seems like with no bushing, there will be metal against metal contact. Anyone put on shocks recently?? Would you know if there is something that goes on the end of the shock absorber rod at the top?? Thank you, Carmine.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmen,
The top of the shock should have a metal encased rubber bushing with a stud coming out of the top. The encased bushing is approximately 1" tall and 1" to 1 1/2" in diameter. There should be only a nut and lock washer that came with the shock. There are no loose washers and bushings as on newer style shocks.
getimage.php
Here is a picture that may help.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmen,
The top of the shock should have a metal encased rubber bushing with a stud coming out of the top. The encased bushing is approximately 1" tall and 1" to 1 1/2" in diameter. There should be only a nut and lock washer that came with the shock. There are no loose washers and bushings as on newer style shocks.
getimage.php
Here is a picture that may help.

Thank you Jim. That is exactly the shock I have. Just seems strange there are no rubber bushings or cupped washers that came with it. I took another look at it this morning, and there will be metal against metal where the top goes through the coil tower. Just doesn't seem right, but guess that's the way it is, Carmine.