Shop made shifter balls

bobs409

Administrator
A while back I showed some shifter balls I turned out of black Delrin. I decided to insert an aluminum disc into them and put the shifter pattern on. I flattened the tops of the ball and sunk a 1/4" thick aluminum disc into it. I used a new tool I'm working on which is made of a Harbor freight arbor press and their letter/number stamping dies. (that will be posted sometime when I'm done with it)

DSCN1739.jpg

I stamped the numbers in and just free handed the shifter pattern in the mill using a drill bit. It's not perfect but not too bad for my first try. I noticed some of the number/letters aren't exactly on center with these punches so I had to make samples and small adjustments for each. The 4 is a tad bit to the left. (looks better installed in the Jeep, not so noticable) This was a lot harder than I thought it would be!

DSCN1743.jpg

I still have to do the 4WD knob:

DSCN1744.jpg

I like the way they "turned" out. (pun intended) :teehee

Last edited:

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You should really mess someone up by putting the shift pattern from something weird such as a duce and half. I think it was 2nd to 3rd was over rather than up.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
19429932_1763370387013176_6260998747878231252_n.jpg

You're on your own fixing this leak, Bob!

bobs409

Administrator
Update on the shifter knobs:

I went for a new look. I machined the centers of the aluminum discs down a bit and made some black vinyl decals on the Cricut machine. I think they look pretty cool this way. Only hiccup is the centers of the 4's & the R were too small so I'll dab some paint in tomorrow. These are almost too fancy for my Jeep! :D

DSCN1821.jpg