Shop recommendations for Orange County/ Los Angeles area?

ORO62

Well Known Member
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this has already been asked, but does anyone have a recommendation for a shop that specializes in 409 engines?

I just bought my car and need some work done. Went out for a cruise and by the time I got back, I was hearing a clacking noise when I hit the gas and she was idling funny. I also noticed that the prior owner stripped the oil pan bolt and it's stuck - won't loosen or tighten. Got a minor leak from the transmission + a definite gas leak. The car wreaks when it's sitting.

No one I've contacted so far wants to touch the car. Any help would be much appreciated.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Welcome to the sight with the smartest and best 348 & 409 mechanics in the world and Phil.
Any reason you dont pull out the tools and get dirty with some guidance from these men? Get ready for questions such as where that noise is coming, oil pressure, age of build etc. These guys can save you much money and frustration.
Welcome aboard!
Post pictures. We like pictures !!

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome to the sight with the smartest and best 348 & 409 mechanics in the world and Phil.
Any reason you dont pull out the tools and get dirty with some guidance from these men? Get ready for questions such as where that noise is coming, oil pressure, age of build etc. These guys can save you much money and frustration.
Welcome aboard!
Don't listen to Wristpin, we love spending other peoples money. We only save money when we can. Welcome on board. Pictures and detail descriptions help us help you! Decide what your biggest issue is first and we will knock them down like Wristpins....I mean bowling pins. :D

ORO62

Well Known Member
I wouldn't mind working on the motor myself, in fact I would prefer it. I'm really handy with tools, the only issue is my specialty is electrical so I would need a ton of guidance. But yes, if someone can walk me through the repair that would be super rad!

Welcome aboard!
Post pictures. We like pictures !![/QUO

wristpin

Well Known Member
Whats the symptoms and location of the engine noise?
Are the transmission pan bolts tight? Where is tranny (thats short for transmission everywhere but CA :D) leaking from?
Does the carb need an overhaul for the acceleration issue? Where is gas leaking?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I wouldn't mind working on the motor myself, in fact I would prefer it. I'm really handy with tools, the only issue is my specialty is electrical so I would need a ton of guidance. But yes, if someone can walk me through the repair that would be super rad!
We can do that.Secure a place where you have enough room to pull the engine and work on it.Before you pull it lets track down the fuel issue,the oil leak in the trans aea and figure out the engine noise.The oil pan will need to be replaced due to the drain plug issue and you'll play heck doing thaat with the engine in the car.Winter's coming so this is a good time to get started.

ORO62

Well Known Member
Don't listen to Wristpin, we love spending other peoples money. We only save money when we can. Welcome on board. Pictures and detail descriptions help us help you! Decide what your biggest issue is first and we will knock them down like Wristpins....I mean bowling pins. :D

Thanks! Well before the biggest concern was my oil leak, but given what happened when I was driving yesterday, that's taken top priority now.

The problem:
This all started happening after I gave a good run through all the gears up to about 70mph entering the freeway yesterday. I didn't feel anything abnormal until I i went to accelerate at about 70mph. When I pressed the gas, I heard a loud clack that I knew wasn't normal. I kept it at low rpm all the way home....which luckily was an exit away. Engine was sputtering as I pulled in to the garage. Since then, when I'm in neutral at idle I hear and feel a big clunk from the drive train once every 20 seconds or so. The engine sputters for a second very slightly when this event occurs but the car never dies. This same event also now happens when I'm driving at very low rpm in the same frequency is does at idle. Haven't driven it more than around the block since for fear of further damaging something.

Background:
I just bought this car a week ago, and the prior owner put maybe 500 miles on the car since 2012. The prior owner to him is the one that did the restoration. Turns out my car started as a '62 50th anniversary non SS car with a 327 and auto trans. When the restoration was done, they dumped the 409 and the t10 in. After doing some homework on the engine stamps and codes, I found the 409 to be a crate replacement motor (truck). Not sure exactly what they did to the internals, but they definitely upgraded the truck block with all the 409/409 bits that I can visibly see. Prior owner says he's sure it has the 409/409 cam in it but who knows what else they did. I know for sure the engine and trans combo has less than 2500 miles on it. I have noticed that the transmission leaks a bit...but nothing to be alarmed at. I'm embarrassed to say, but I can't find the transmission oil stick to check levels. Also, gonna start by replacing all the plugs, hoses, and fluids. I was told putting some additives (lead and zinc) are recommended as well, but need more details.

Anything yall can help with would be appreciated!

ORO62

Well Known Member
Whats the symptoms and location of the engine noise?
Are the transmission pan bolts tight? Where is tranny (thats short for transmission everywhere but CA :D) leaking from?
Does the carb need an overhaul for the acceleration issue? Where is gas leaking?

I just posted all that's happening. Not sure on the location of the actual leak as I don't have a way to get the car up yet. As such can't check the tranny bolts either. I have zero clue how to tell if the dual 4 barrel carbs need an overhaul. I can't see the gas leak, but know it's there. No idea how to find it otherwise. :/

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is it possible for you to take a video with your phone and upload it to youtube so we can hear the noise? When you say a clunk from the drivetrain about every 20 seconds in neutral idling, are you talking transmission back, or engine area? I think I would be pulling those valve covers, however without hearing it I am in the dark.

ORO62

Well Known Member
Is it possible for you to take a video with your phone and upload it to youtube so we can hear the noise? When you say a clunk from the drivetrain about every 20 seconds in neutral idling, are you talking transmission back, or engine area? I think I would be pulling those valve covers, however without hearing it I am in the dark.

That's the thing, I can't really tell exactly where it's coming from. I can say that it's coming from the front of the car (either motor or trans). I'll try to capture this on video tomorrow. Thanks!

ORO62

Well Known Member
I have concerns with a truck short block and a 409/409 cam, piston to valve clearance could be a problem.

I'm not exactly sure about all that was done. Best thing is for me to get ahold of the prior owner that did the restoration. I'll start there, but for sure it's crate truck motor. I'll report back when I know more.

ORO62

Well Known Member
I may be thinking along your lines James. With the sputtering I think valve hit, bend pushrod, or worse being he accelerated like he did.

Man I really hope that's not the case. I also have a 2017 Cadillac CTS-V with a boatload of horsepower and I beat on that car like crazy. That being said, I don't really think I leaned into it that hard when I was entering the freeway. Then again, the car has been sitting for years and I know absolutely nothing about the engine. Sigh....i hope this isn't something serious.