Skip

skipandJJ

Hi Guys,

My 9 year old son and I just inherited a stock 1930 Model A coupe. It runs and has a fairly straight body but is not restored. We plan to turn it into a street rod. I am currently putting a budget together and looking at all options, including buying a completed rolling chassis from "totalcostinvolved.com". Unlike most guys, we don't want to go the Chevy small block route. We have our hearts set on a 409 motor. So we are now searching for the right engine (we want to rebuild it ourselves). I've heard we can start with a 348 and put a stroker crank with a minor boreout to get close to a 409. Anyway, any thoughts and guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Model A 1.jpg
    Model A 1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 43

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Skip, Welcome. There is a lot information and a great group here. The Model A would look great with a W.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
welcome

Welcome to this great site, lots of great folks here.

W Head
59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

gearhead409

Well Known Member
call me a purist but i hate the see another nice stock model A cut-up, but what the heck, i sure have cut-up alot of them in the past. go with a complete new chassis. they are alot safer with lots of options and you will never regret it. i have been using Lobeck chassis just because Berry and i go way back and he will build them anyway i want. i have two of his in the shop now. one with a small block chevy blower motor, the other with a buick grand national motor. and the customer wants a full hood over his buick motor ( not easy but i will get it done). you may have hood problems too as the W motor is pretty wide at the front. Good Luck with your project, there are alot of good people here that will help when you need it.

409z28

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Restore it

Man i am with Gearhead, Do it original. What a shame to Rod it out. Every parking lot get together is full of that Rod S###. Save some heritage. Mike:bow