Slop in centerlink to pitman arm

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Gt the steering arm bolted back on that had the missing bolts(2", 2 1.2" 7/16) . There is a lot of slop in the centerlink that bolts to the pitman arm. Is there an adjustment?

How are those PS to manual conversion ends?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
If you are meaning the center link stud going through pit man arm eye , there is no adjustment . You will have to replace link. {if i am understanding you right.}

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The only rebuild kits I see are for the manual center link but I wonder if one could use the parts or some of them to fix the P/S one.A6501010.JPG
s-l225.jpg

ragtp66

Well Known Member
In the picture above on the control valve you can remove that end cap and it can be fine tuned a little bit there, Keep in mind that with the engine NOT running it will feel more sloppy then without the pump running. This whole system is more of an "assist" then a full power steering box so you cannot expect the same feel. Compared to today's cars its a night and day difference.

409 lever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
yep its only 2 inches''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
from the ground. LOL.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I can watch the stud move as the wheel turns maybe 1/16 turn before the centerlink moves.
As other's have said before it has to have movement or you will not have assist power steering. It has to move to direct the fluid valving in the control valve . There is a ball stud with concave disc's on each side with a spring to keep tension on the ball stud .

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
This is a condition that's not limited to early Chevys,but small and mid size Fords as well.If the power steering pump isn't working,for whatever reason,the steering will have slop in the linkage.The pressure from the pump tightens things up.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I understand now! Funny on my first one in '70 we just took off "that power robbing P/S pump" and used some sheet metal to cover up the area around the stud and don't remember the slop-but I've slept a few nights since then:)

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Skip: With the front wheels off the ground, grab the driver's side front tire, and wiggle side to side, while watching the Control Valve and Pitman Arm. The Play is usually the control Valve. Depending on it's condition, maybe you can tighten it up.:dunno There is a place, for a large screwdriver. You will have to, take it apart.:doh They DO sell a Kit.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Watching 409 lever's posts and Don's response was 3 of the funniest posts I've read in years!!!!! Carry on guys!!!!