small block Chevy oil flow diagram

bobs409

Administrator
I tried searching Google for this and did find a few diagrams but they are hard to follow.

Can anyone descibe the path the oil takes starting after it gets sucked up the oil pickup tube? Someone here mentioned the small blocks oil from the top down and big blocks from the bottom up. I could do with an explaination of that too.

Barry GMC

Motors manuals are what I use for the truck stuff they have good diagrams. The oil comes up the back right where you put the oil press sending unit, hits the three galleys the side ones feed the lifter bores, the center feeds the cam, the mains and then the rods. Side clearance is important especially on the rods as this can affect oil control in the cylinders. As far as .003 on the mains, I think this is a bit much wiyh modern oils, I never go beyond .002. FYI I have recently tore down a 350 with 304,000 miles I built in 92. None of the bearings had wore past.0025. Always have run castrol synthetic. I am refreshig this engine as it leaked to much and needs valve guides. Also it still had 45# hot oil press @ 2300 rpm with castrol 5-30 Syntec. Sorry I posted all this here and not on the 350) thread but I am crazy busy and have not been on line for a while. THANKs BARRY.

bobs409

Administrator
Thank you Barry.

I'm taking a day to think this whole thing over. I'm really considering tightening up those clearances a bit. I can check the side clearance when the pan is back off that models suggested.

I just can't shake this gut feeling that something still is not right. The leaking front plugs helped some but was it enough? Wouldn't be the first time I had (2) problems at the same time!!! :bang

I guess the thing that bothers me most is that I'm not seeing oil shooting out of the push rods. A little dribble on a few. (that's spinning with the drill and pressure at 47lbs!) I did not rotate the engine so not sure if that would help or not.

Thanks for all who have helped so far. This has me really bugged! :mad