Small Block ID Question & Oil Pressure

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I realize I posted this in the wrong section........My new 63 Pontiac has a "350" but no pad in front of the passenger side head. Where could those numbers be?

It does have the normal 4 bolts to hold the valve covers on, PCV holes and hoses in the cover, but has an Edelbrock 4 barrel and an intake that is painted black but has some orange showing through. It also has an alternator on a steel bracket on the passenger side, but has original rams horns, driver side has no bracket for the alternator, but driver side has the bracket "extension" on the rams horns. They look like 2 inch rams horns.

Hot oil pressure is mid 20's at highway speed, say 2500-3000 RPM, sound acceptable?

Thanks,

Don

Last edited:

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Maybe a picture would help, its black, that air cleaner looks 80's? I'll check what you said too (there was another post here that is gone now????).

It has a chrome fan shroud, the fan is way inside the shroud, so likely a long water pump? No oil fill tube, rad hose exits toward the passenger side. Plugs go in straight and level like in my 59, but the heads have accessory holes on the ends.
411696614.jpg

Don

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Don,That thing looks like a "Target Master" replacement engine,and yes that air cleaner is of the late 70's style. While it's probally nothing on a lightly driven engine,I think that it's borderline low. I'd first change oil and filter.That oil filter,if it has a problem,can cause a pressure reduction.I 'd suggest a good 10-30 dino oil for these tests.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Good idea, I'll put some EOS in too and get rid of the Fram filter. The plugs are very rusty, won't hurt to change them too. Car appears to have not been used at all in a long time.

Thanks,
Don