small block power steering help

69 camaro

:scratch i have a 62 belair and i need to change over to power steering i have look over the postted threads with no better idea what i'm doing what all do i need and what cars will interchange i don't have the money to buy a $600 kit so i guess i'm saying i want to do it the hard way:bang thanks for the help frank

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
frank, You say you " need to change to power steering". The manual steering cars turn quite easily. Are you sure you need to do this? If so, the easiest way would be to find a parts car in your area . It is not uncommon to find a car that is a rust bucket and has been stripped of most parts. Might be able to find one in your area for $100. Good luck.........:)

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
parts is parts

The only parts you need to buy for the conversion is the Rag joint and the mounting plate. Take the entire 605 set up off a junk yard late 70s to early 80s GP or Regal or Monte. Take the 605 box, hoses, pump and pulley, and mounting brackets. It should all swap over. Use your stock manual 62 arm on the box. It is a complete bolt in. You will have to shorten the shaft at the rag joint and my have to grind the 605 box near the pump pulley.