smaller water pump pulley

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I know this has been hashed out before, I just can't find it. I am looking for a smaller than stock water pump pulley. I have a stock ,deep groove, double row pulley right now. Who can help me out? Looking to help my cooling just a bit more. Part numbers would be great.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Thanks guys! I went to my mechanics house and guess what, he was removing his aluminum 5 1/2 inch pulley from his stock car and replacing it with another one of a different size. You know what came home with me don't you? Yep, perfect fit. Just gotta paint it and get a shorter belt. Thanks guys! Hopefully it will drop my temps 10-20 degrees and make me happy. It never got over 200 but I would like a little insurance as it was still climbing slowly. My mechanic Jesse also has had success with a direct 4 blade steel fan. If my clutch fan still is struggling, I will try it. will let you guys know what happens.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
So far so good. Hot here today. 175-180 hiway and 190 idling and in town driving. Couldn't be happier with the outcome. You guys are the best.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Not sure what is standard on 348-409 engine water pumps as far as pulley size or pump designed rpm. Years ago a friend and myself put together a screamer of a blown 350 with small wp pulley, kept satisfactory temp at idle and around 60-70 MPH but when as you started to give it the revs on the open road it would just get hotter. found out later that we were over speeding the impeller, causing cavitation. had to go to a larger pulley to keep it cool.
i suppose the question is how do you know what RPM your pump is designed for? and how close do you get to over speed at high rpm?
Steve

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
If I recall, the waterpump is overdriven slightly in stock configuration. I am guessing I now am overdriving the waterpump around 25 percent. I ran it up to 120 on the hiway and it saw 180. I am looking at driving my car 3 hours one way to a cruise and car show. I am trying to make sure it goes there and back by its self.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Car ran and drove flawless. It ran 175-200 depending on speed. Ambient temp 85-95 or more. Idled for 15 minutes in a campground tour and was 185. I couldn't be happier. I got 12 miles to the gallon with 4.30 gears!

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Brian

Sounds like it's working good.

At 60mph how many rpm's are you running?

What does the stock sheave measure?

Seems like when i run my car at 60 mph@2900 rpm highway speed it cools better that at 70 mph. I need to put a gun on it to see what temps actually are......i have both an idiot light and gauge.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I am about 3000-3100 at 60. I had gotten 13 mpg with the last motor with 3.36 gears and I was happy with that. I can't wait to see what 3.50 gears get me. Maybe 16? I don't even have a vacuum advance! Just lucky I guess. The stock water pump pulley is 7 1/8 to the outside.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
get a infrared thermo to check everything. these gauges sometimes are way off. i have a bulb type temp gauge
that reads 10 to 15 degrees high. jim

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I checked my gauge a few years ago. I am pretty sure it was within 5 degrees.