So this came up today in a conversation

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I was asked about my peanut port headed 461 BBC that runs low 11's with 8:1 compression and was asked, what do you think the car would run with 12:1 compression with no other changes. I replied "I don't know?" as I do not dyno engines much because I just choose to go out to the track to test. So some of you guys may have done this in the past with increasing compression, what track times did you see and was it worth the cost to raise the compression?

425/409ER

Well Known Member
This engine is going to the track next month with a small bump in compression that come from a new set of ported heads. Compression will go form 8:1 to 9:1 not a lot but with the style of head I am hoping to put this combo in the high 10's.

427John

Well Known Member
If it was a Gen V motor I was going to tip you off on Gen V closed chamber large oval port heads used on Gen V 366 and 427T truck motors that had the ~97 cc closed chamber and large oval ports used on early non HP Mark IV BBC's.They do have the smaller 1.94/1.66 valves and need to be upgraded to the 2.06/1.72, but will increase the the CR on a flattop piston 454 up to the 9-9.5 range and have the larger standard oval ports instead of the peanut ports.They have the Gen V coolant passage pattern and bolt straight on with standard Gen V head gaskets,they have a 1140 casting number instead of the 1156 number of your heads.I have a Gen V 454 with the 1156 heads that I swapped in to my truck with corvette exhaust manifolds and a 66 360 horse 396 holley intake that while it ran fine stock was pretty tame power wise, I swapped on these heads and put in a ZZ502 cam and it turned the motor into a beast compared to what it was before.Since your engine is a Mark IV you could achieve the same thing by using the 69 and earlier non HP BBC heads, but since you have already converted for use with the Gen V heads you should be able to use the 1140 heads.

wristpin

Well Known Member
If it was a Gen V motor I was going to tip you off on Gen V closed chamber large oval port heads used on Gen V 366 and 427T truck motors that had the ~97 cc closed chamber and large oval ports used on early non HP Mark IV BBC's.They do have the smaller 1.94/1.66 valves and need to be upgraded to the 2.06/1.72, but will increase the the CR on a flattop piston 454 up to the 9-9.5 range and have the larger standard oval ports instead of the peanut ports.They have the Gen V coolant passage pattern and bolt straight on with standard Gen V head gaskets,they have a 1140 casting number instead of the 1156 number of your heads.I have a Gen V 454 with the 1156 heads that I swapped in to my truck with corvette exhaust manifolds and a 66 360 horse 396 holley intake that while it ran fine stock was pretty tame power wise, I swapped on these heads and put in a ZZ502 cam and it turned the motor into a beast compared to what it was before.Since your engine is a Mark IV you could achieve the same thing by using the 69 and earlier non HP BBC heads, but since you have already converted for use with the Gen V heads you should be able to use the 1140 heads.
:pics

Reactions: 327

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Been there done that with closed chamber heads, my peanut ported heads that I ported absolutely blew the closed chambered heads away. 11.16 open vs. 11.78 closed chamber 215 oval heads. The closed chamber heads make less power. The heads on this Mark IV engine now are L-29 Vortec Gen V with 100 cc chambers that are ported, they will be a good test for sure in a few weeks. Hope everything on this swap works.

20210216_230812.jpg

427John

Well Known Member
Been there done that with closed chamber heads, my peanut ported heads that I ported absolutely blew the closed chambered heads away. 11.16 open vs. 11.78 closed chamber 215 oval heads. The closed chamber heads make less power. The heads on this Mark IV engine now are L-29 Vortec Gen V with 100 cc chambers that are ported, they will be a good test for sure in a few weeks. Hope everything on this swap works.

View attachment 110653
Looks like the L29 chamber is a variation of the late closed chamber with a divider ,did you port the 215's as extensively as the peanut ports and unshroud the intake valve like you did the L29's?

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Looks like the L29 chamber is a variation of the late closed chamber with a divider ,did you port the 215's as extensively as the peanut ports and unshroud the intake valve like you did the L29's?

Yes, the 215's got ported after they performed so poorly at the track in 2019. I have them on another 468 with a roller cam now. As for the L-29 heads you cannot unshroud them as much as the peanut port heads. Find our how they work soon, the 461 is in the car now.