Sold my 409 car back in February

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
it left on April 7th. bound for a ship in Savannah, Georgia.

I hated to sell the car, but after 35 years and a few million memories, it was time to go.
it's new owner may pop up here sooner or later. I already alerted Carl (ChevyTaylor) to be on the lookout for it in his part of the world a few months ago.
yep, a sad day to see it towed away, ( i drove it onto the trailer) but i was getting tired of it and dreaded the idea of restoring it a 3rd time.

Attachments

• IMG_3103.jpg
    IMG_3103.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 98

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:cry Yep,tough choice indeed.Hopefully it will have as good a home as it will have a good home like it has had for the last 35 years.:)

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob,as I said on Facebook,had to be a sad day for you.I know it will break my heart when I have to hand keys over to the next person.Believe me ,I'm not looking forward to that day ever.But hopefully the new care taker for your car was ,and will be buying the car to keep the cars and your legacy going.John

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Bob,as I said on Facebook,had to be a sad day for you.I know it will break my heart when I have to hand keys over to the next person.Believe me ,I'm not looking forward to that day ever.But hopefully the new care taker for your car was ,and will be buying the car to keep the cars and your legacy going.John

X2
cry.gif

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I believe it has gone to a great home and will be looked after. Nobody would buy a car like that, for that much money, and ship it around the world if he wasn't in love with it.

JMO

Dave

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I appreciate the notes guys. I feel my 409 friends deserve an explanation.
simply put, i was tired of the car. and after 35 years, a 409 is not new and (or) exciting to me anymore.
in January, I messed up and stopped in a whorehouse. (dodge dealer) all the merchandise was all lean, young, powdered up, looking pretty and smelling good, so i tried one of the girls out. like any other guilty man, it wound up that I bought a Hemi car without selling anything which I felt OK with. then after some time, guilt kicked in. my choice made me tight for cash and dry parking spots. it made me far far more uncomfortable than i ever thought it would.
when i saw the new Challengers in 2008, i said i would trade my 409 for one. my friends laughed like i may be kidding?
i put both the 409 and the Challenger up for sale figuring on keeping the one left behind. the Dodge is still for sale. but i plan to keep it. if it goes, i will pay off ALL my bills and buy a Chevelle. either a 70 or a 67. i'll always have a few toys to play with. LOL
it got to a point where the 409 was not noticed anymore at shows, i couldnt race it, modify it, use it for transportation, park it anywhere, leave it in the rain, or go very far without buying gas.
it was looking worn out like the 10 year old restoration that it is, and i just simply got tired of it since it had no real purpose other than memories. and i wasnt interested in a 3rd resto on the same car.

sooner or later, the kids move out. no matter how old they are.

luckily for me, i have another 63 that i so totally ENJOY driving, I get to take an Impala to the place it deserves the most......the winners circle.
last sunday went 9.99 against the "Bounty Hunters"

PS: i still have the autographed lid. if the new owner contacts me and wants it, he gets first chance to re-unite it with the car.

thanx guys. i can only assume it is in good hands :dunno

I paid $400 bux when i bought it at age 17. everybody laughed. i had my fun, got my memories, and my money back.....priceless.

Attachments

• IMG_3084.jpg
    IMG_3084.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 57

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
It's got to be bitter-sweet...I'm sure. As long as you are happy with the results.......that's all that counts Bob!!!

frankjr8

Well Known Member
Bob, it is always great to read what you write on this forum!
I wish the Red car was in my barn!
I am still in love with her!
Keep in touch
Frank

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey Bob
It only hurts for a little while.......:doh
Sold my 62 Vette after 28 years......went everywhere
with that thing and will miss..."hey - nice car" from the
kids on the street.....:eek:
But it's time to move on and look for new adventures...:deal

:cheers
bj

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Hi Bob,

what part of OZ is your car headed.:dunno

I know what its like, I built a 32 F*^d Roadster also sold it in Feb, had a tear in my eye when it went down the road, there are some benefits, more cash flow for the next project more room to physically do the next project, one thing you can't sell is the great memories you have had.:cheers

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi Bob,

what part of OZ is your car headed.:dunno

I know what its like, I built a 32 F*^d Roadster also sold it in Feb, had a tear in my eye when it went down the road, there are some benefits, more cash flow for the next project more room to physically do the next project, one thing you can't sell is the great memories you have had.:cheers

Tumbi Umbi, New South Wales,
keep an eye out for it mates. thanx.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Grub, not far north of Sydney mate.

I look forward to seeing your 63 in person and meeting the new owner Bob :beerbang

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Mixed feelings

Bob, I can imagine how you feel after enjoying the vehicle for so long. It seems you've thought a lot about it, and made the right decision for you at this time in your life. Think of it as the opportunity to let someone else have fun as well, and hopefully for a long, long time :) :) :).

Now use some of those proceeds and fly in to Cleveland Hopkins (or two the other '63!) and join us at Thompson. We'll help you commiserate your loss with a few beers and some bench racing :).

Cheers!
TomK