Some recent dyno work

tenxal

Well Known Member
It's been a week long project but this one got finished up on the dyno yesterday:

It's a SBC (kinda' ;)) based on a G.M. 'Aurora' Oldsmobile (kinda' ;))block originally designed for IRL racing. The block isn't cast iron..it's a CG (compacted graphite) block. The blocks were delivered with no head bolt holes or lifter bores so the builders could put them where they wanted to. This one was originally done by the late Bill 'Grumpy' Jenkins as a spin off from the NHRA Pro Stock Truck program. Pretty cool to be working on something that 'The Grump' had layed his hands on! :cool:

Anyway, it uses a set of splayed valve heads (basically a big block Chevy head on a small block Chevy block) with very small combustion chambers. Small enough that the compression ratio is 18:1 with a flat top piston. Engine speeds are a tick over 9,000 at peak rpm. With 358 cubic inches, it made 934 h.p. which is 2.6 h.p. per cubic inch! No power adders, spray stuff or funky fuel....just race gas per NHRA rules.

I spent one full day on the lathe and mill just fab'ing up throttle linkage from a box of odds and ends laying around my pal's race shop. There's not a lot of room with the shear plates under the carbs....the geometry with two 4500 series carbs can get you in trouble quickly. There's something about watching all that linkage work in harmony that makes me smile. :D

Hope you enjoy this stuff. -Al

tbPecQrl.jpg

8kv6hkPl.jpg

z1nmFhNl.jpg

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Al, you give everyone Inspiration to go beyond their comfort zone. Not too many things are impossible unless you give up. Seeing and reading posts like yours should raise the bar for everyone who is interested in gaining knowledge in The racing field. I know I appreciate all your post and all your comments, thank you very much! And please don’t stop and if somebody needs a little redirection it is greatly appreciated.

wristpin

Well Known Member
I have a chevy factory performance book Id bought in 1985 or so. I bought it from a chevy dealer. Believe it had pics and info on thos splined heads as well as crank driven fuel pumps and other exotic stuff. If i remember I'll dig it out later.

tenxal

Well Known Member
Jenkins did work on a V6 that had BBC style heads. Anyone have info on that?
I looked at the prints and Jenkins name was all over them.
Grumpy did the early development work on the splayed valve heads using the 4.3L V6 as the cylinder case. There was a lot of early success with those heads in Competition Eliminator application with both Bob Kaiser and Steve Johns running them....Steve Johns won the Competition Eliminator World Championship one season. Steve Johns was also an employee of Jenkins Competition at the time. ;)

Those heads morphed into the current Slawko, etc. heads.

Alan Reinhart does a good job explaining these heads as used on Pro Stock engine. The Competition Eliminator stuff takes the same approach but the sizing is different for the bore/stroke of the smaller engines.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...BC4F76B97E1946295AA1BC4&view=detail&FORM=VIRE