Some Z-11 history

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Number of Z-11s

Phil Reed most likely knows. I remember seeing about 11 of them all in one place back in 2004 in KC. Phil put that together. I guess it really depends on what you are calling a "Z-11". There are some 1962 "service package" Z-11 top ends and aluminum front clips out there (i.e., Patt and Rusty's '62 Belair Sport Coupes) and there are some fully documented 1963 Z-11s out there (Phil knows the list of those).

Then there are some neat "tribute" cars, like the one from Illinois that raced at Thompson last year, and the one Donny Shaffer runs. If I recall correctly, the Illinois car had an aluminum package made back in the day, and it included some additional parts, like doors, which real Z-11s did not have. And there are some that have Z-11 engine parts, like Bob Walla's 1964 race car.

I like 'em all!

TomK

7d9_z28

Well Known Member
"Phil" sounds like a pretty knowledgeable guy... maybe he WOULD like to shed some light on the subject :?:deal

No409

Supporting Member 1
one of my friends fathers has a lot of knowledge of z-11 stuff, and where most of the stuff is, or ended up. HIs basement is FULL of 63-64 full size parts, and his family had a Dealership back in the 60`s, so he has all sorts of books, and info. HEs a Eccentric guy. He hangs around my shop about once a week, ill ask him next time hes in. Currently hes restoring a 64 ss 409/425 car

Well Known Member
Hey Phil,I hear that you have to notify :dealthe state of Texas before you cross the state.:roll

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
63409 If you visited his shop it's easy to see why he is "banned from Texas". But I must admit I did see some things in Dallas that he left behind:roll:roll
robert

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'll bet there isn't a complete Chevrolet built in North America today............

Dave

S

Swiss Impala

First they had to stop big block production :bang:bang.
What's wrong with a big block? Okay, I know fuel consumption, but if
you use it with a sensible right foot it is not so dramatic.
Now they build there engines which you can use as the starter of
a big block (unbelievable), and they even have to stop production
because the Japs show the way of going on. This is not true, is it??
If yes is
all I have to say: congratulation to GM, well done, great job!
:cuss:cuss
It's only good that all the great GM (Chevrolet) pioneers do not have to
be witness of this disaster!

Franz

Well Known Member
Then we wounder why the unemployment is high.Almost everything is made in Japan,China,etc...