Sooty tail pipes anyone?

62SS409

Obviously, it's all a matter of degree. I like to keep my car stock-including the carb jets and metering rods. My plugs always look perfect after long drives and even lots of short ones. I don't blow soot but the pipes are black inside. I don't have a pole barn. If you run without convertors, you're making SO2 by the truckload and that makes acid no matter how lean (and therefore, hot) you
run your engine. Thanks for the info though, I would not have thought it possible to make a dual quad setup run as well as you describe. What kind of manifold vacuum can you get? I never get over 14in.

63BelAir

sooty pipes and plugs

Not to sound like a smart *** or know it all ,,
BUT what type of ingition system are you running and what wires are firing the plugs ,,we all know that three things make an engine run correctly
air spark and fuel
before you pull your hair out with the carb ...
I would certainly check the ignition system my 63 blew black smoke for the longest time i tried carb's after carb's and it turned out the single point dist just wasn't hot enough to burn unleaded fuel cleanly .
i changed plugs, changed wires , tried fuel additives etc...
I also made the mistake of leaning the carb to much which turned out to make the engine run hotter since there was'nt enough fuel to cool the cylinders..
Just a suggestion......

bobs409

Administrator
Mine has the single point distributor and stock AC plug wires. I know im going to hear someone tell me to switch to an HEI but im old school and don't want to modernize my antique. ;)

It runs like a raped ape so no problems with points that I can see. Go ask that Mustang owner. :p :D

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
62SS,,,Yes I understand that any engine (non cat) puts that SO2 into the air ,,,but if you`re running rich it INCRESSES the stink and burning eyes....
On manifold Vac,,,,I get plenty,,,,17-18 and have no problems with my power discs,,,,dq
:D

bobs409

Administrator
Mine has a steady 15.5 inches of vacuum. That's pretty good for a '63 400hp isn't it? I think I may have a bad power brake booster so that may be sucking some. I loose all power at the brake the very moment the engine stops.