Southbend Craigslist

b-d409

Well Known Member
I called the guy today and he is supposed to get back with me on what series posi it is. Maybe he'll have that elusive 4 series I am looking for.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
shoot, even if its a 3-series grab it! Nice to have as a spare for that cheap! :brow Worth the drive down to get it too!

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Jason: I would have thought, you would be, on your way back home, from Indiana already.:doh:roll If I was closer, I would have taken a ride.:clap

cheap1

Supporting Member 1
Glad to help. See if he'll through in one of those big blocks for free while your up there:brow. He's obviously not trying to make any money on anything.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Glad to help. See if he'll through in one of those big blocks for free while your up there:brow. He's obviously not trying to make any money on anything.

He is a nice guy, a trucker with not much work right now. The Big Blocks are common and truck blocks, so they weren't much interest to me. The twelve bolts are either pickup or Blazer units and won't fit my Chevelle. The 64 posi is not a four series, it is a 3.36 with a very nice case that will work fine in my 63 Biscayne.

Thanks again for posting.

Bill

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
gear guys

Would one of you guys that are in the know explain what the difference between a 3 series and a 4 series posi?

Thanks in advance.
Dave

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Three series is thinner where the ring gear mounts to accept the larger diameter pinion of the 3. ratios. Four series is thick where the ring gear mounts so it fits to the smaller pinion of the 4. ratios. A Three series carrier will work with the 4. ratios if a spacer is used but people feel it is weak and will break. I have never seen a posi break where the ring gear mounts it was always at the bearing caps. I don't know if they are still available but they did make thick ring gears with a 4. ratio that would fit the series 3 carrier.

Bill

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
thick gears

I have a thick 4.11 on my series 3 carrier in my 62. Ain't nothin to do. A spacer is somewhat weaker since you loose the center hole register and only rely on the boltsfor centering and support.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jason: I would have thought, you would be, on your way back home, from Indiana already.:doh:roll If I was closer, I would have taken a ride.:clap

I did think about it Skip! But I have stock piling some "other" parts and another third member just didn't fit into the mix for me right now :brow :brow

scotty t

Supporting Member 1
was the seller a big burly gray beard with a bunch of 67-72 trucks and parts? located on rt12?