Speedo

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I finally found time to replace the 4 speed in the 64 the other day. I had it rebuilt about two years ago but never got around to installing it. The new tail shaft casing has the speedometer gear on the right side. I need to replace the cable with a longer cable.
Does anyone know which cable I can use for this?

Tourer

Jester - I also have the same speedo cable issue. Please post your findings when you find the right cable. Thanks.

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I found a guy that sells them on ebay for around $32,00
He has 63 and 83 inch for that price. If you want something in the middle than that's a special order and $20.00 more. I'll let you know.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
My 63 had a pass side speedo tailhousing on it and the speedo cable is about 69 inches long. It was kinda hard to measure but that is pretty close. It worked just fine in the 63 for almost 30 years.
Ross

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Ed51 said:
They sell them at NAPA in various lengths,and reasonable too. :clap
NAPA? I didn't try them. I know that It's not available at Advance. I'll try them in the morning. Thanks guys

Gus68

Well Known Member
cable

Hey guys!! I had the same problem a few years back. I just so happened to be working on a caddy at work at the time for a speedo concern. I ended up replacing the speedo cable on the caddy. Now I dont remember for sure the modle or year of caddy , but I belive it was a late 80's Brogham, (you know, the big ol four door tanks), anyway the cable was a two peice, the first half screwed to the speedo gear like any other GM cable on the one end and the other end of the first half cable had an end just like the screw on end of the speedo gear in the tranny for the second half of the cable to screw on to. This first "half" is about 3 to 4 feet long and works perfect as an extension on my original cable. I would think that a GM dealer or junkyard would have this.

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how I ended up repairing this thing. Have a great day. :cuss

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
To sum this story up, I found a guy on ebay that will make it for me. I order a 83 " cable for $32.00 plus $8.00 shipping.