spray on sound deadener for inside doors?

bobs409

Administrator
Hey guys, I'm replacing the door skins on my 66 Chevelle and was wondering if anyone could suggest something to spray on the inside for sound deadening and to keep it from sounding like a tin can when I shut the doors. :eek: The original has a heavy coating of something sprayed on the back. Not interested in any of the newer type stick on mats, looking for something original looking.

Anything available that looks and works like the original?

Thanks,

Bob

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I haven't used it yet Bob, but I've heard nothing but good reports on Lizard Skin. I'm planning on using it on my '38.

Dave

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yeah........ I know it's expensive but so is any sound deadening stuff....... My son works at a place that wholesales all types of sound insulation (not Lizard Skin) to different industries........ cabs for big construction machines & equipment, commercial buildings etc. and even at his cost they are all expensive.

Dave

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My concern with any spray on coating is that once it starts to seperate from the sheet metal, and it will eventually, rust will start in those crevices as they hold dirt and water.

Original lookng? I guess if someone wants to peek between the door glass, through the fuzzies they may catch a glimpse of darkness!

Personally I would do no more than primer the inside.

bobs409

Administrator
I think it might have a tin can sound if I don't put something on it. Searching a bit on line I found 3-M has something called Body Schutz.

I think I'll just wait until Monday and see what the local body supply store has to offer.

Bob

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think it might have a tin can sound if I don't put something on it. Searching a bit on line I found 3-M has something called Body Schutz.

I think I'll just wait until Monday and see what the local body supply store has to offer.

Bob

SO, You got nuthin to do Sunday then? My garage still needs to finished.:brow

Ray

bobs409

Administrator
SO, You got nuthin to do Sunday then? My garage still needs to finished.:brow

Ray

So does mine Ray! :D I have to do a bit more insulation and finish the drywall. I was waiting for the lift so I could use it like scaffold. :brow I'll be able to reach that ceiling now! :D

Bob

starsailing1

Supporting Member 1
I use 3M rubberized undercoating spray in my doors. just make sure drain hole clear so water cant pool inside. Use it on the underside also as I drive all winter long in Minnesota salt. Dont see any cracking .

bobs409

Administrator
I ended up ordering something called Q-pads. They are a self adhesive type sound deadner. A pack of (6) 12X12 pads for $29.95 from National Parts Depot. I would have had to buy a special sprayer to use the other kind.

I gotta say, I really like these! No mess and what a difference they made. I had one door assembled and it had a tin can sound like I thought it would. I put 3 of these in and now it sounds solid! The door feels just like original.

I never did door skins before but found it to be quite easy. I just completed the second one today so my 66 Chevelle is now wearing some new sheetmetal. I can't afford to buy gas for it so I might as well work on it. :D

Bob

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob-

I used similar stuff for my floors... fatmat.com. Bought 2 33.5 ft rolls and only used one roll... :takethat

Attachments

• DSC03415.jpg
    DSC03415.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 46