ST-10 in 1960 Impala 2 dr

Dougs60Chevy

Supporting Member 1
Hello all - first post here - I'm working on a 1960 Impala 2 dr, originally a 283 3 speed car. Turning it into a 348 4-speed. I've had the car and the 348 for years but just two days ago I got the motor mounted in the car and got it started for the first time in 40+ years. The 348 is mated to a ST-10 4-speed.

Is anyone else running a ST-10 in a 59-60? How is the clearance to the tunnel? Mine is not good, shift linkage hits the tunnel. Not sure if the trans is mounted too high, if the linkage could be wrong, or even if the tunnel has been replaced incorrectly.

I'm running a 2" tall trans mount, Hurst install kit 3738609, and Hurst shifter 3913780. Trans is centered left-to-right in the tunnel and the crossmember is in the lower set of holes on the frame.

The top of the 3-4 shift dog is almost touching the trans tunnel. In fact the clip holding the 3-4 rod to the dog is touching. And there is not enough side-to-side clearance to get the 3-4 rod attached at the shifter. The rod hits the side of the tunnel about halfway down the rod.

Any suggestions? Many thanks in advance...

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome to the forum! My car is slightly different but I ran into the same issue when putting a st-10 in my 62 impala the linkage would hit the tunnel. I am using energy suspension mounts for the engine and trans and the trans mount was too tall at almost 2 inches so I ordered energy suspension trans mount 1158 which is about 1/2 shorter and now everything clears much better.

Dougs60Chevy

Supporting Member 1
Thanks everyone for the welcome, and big thanks nana for the mount info. You gave the part # and everything, thank you! I was able to find a similar mount at a local Napa- it's a super cheap part but I wanted to work on this tonight. (NAPA #BK 6201030). It did not totally solve the clearance problem, but definitely helped. I ended up massaging the tunnel a bit with a hammer. Should be good now. Without the extra 1/2" there would have been more massaging than I'd want to do.

Next is clutch linkage.

Jim, I started a gallery on your suggestion. Nothing much in it for now but I'll add more when I get some better pictures.
full

Dougs60Chevy

Supporting Member 1
thanks Jim. I like that color too. It's a 90's Ford color, and when I got the car only the main body and the doors were painted. The whole car has to be repainted so it will match. Current plans are for original black with white top.