Staggered mini starter

33Chev

Searching for a starter -
I called DB Electric and one guy thought they had a staggered mount mini starter for a 409 motor, but the owner cut in and said they don't carry one and only recommended IMI. I got 11 email answers back over the past two days from all the reputable Ebay stores for staggered mini starters and all 11 said they don't carry on and theirs would not fit. Summit has one in their order book listed 820323OS which I may have to go with as the tech said it showed to fit 409, but not advertised in their catalogue. Do you know the quality of the one that Show Cars lists? I am looking for a block mount gear reduction starter. thanx,

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There is no difference, a staggered mount is a staggered mount, 350, 454, 409 or what ever.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Many of the members here have the DB starter on 409's as well as other Chevy's and I for one think they are great........ there's not many modern computer parts manuals that even have a 409 listed for anything........

I for one know they fit & work well.

Dave

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I've got my old 409 staggered starter on a SBC because it fit better in the scattershield. So staggered should fit staggered.

33Chev

Thanx to all

I appreciate the help. I spoke to DB Electric again today and told Mike about this website and how several are using his starter. He said he would have to rethink his believing that the 409 took a different block mount starter. I ordered one today, feel sure it will fit. Good thing is their return service is a 'no questions ask' style. I still have a fresh .020/.020 crank and one more standard virgin that is from across the counter in '63 that has never been installed in a block if someone is looking. Thanx for your help.

desapience

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
DON't GET DUPED!!

I appreciate the help. I spoke to DB Electric again today and told Mike about this website and how several are using his starter. He said he would have to rethink his believing that the 409 took a different block mount starter. I ordered one today, feel sure it will fit. Good thing is their return service is a 'no questions ask' style. I still have a fresh .020/.020 crank and one more standard virgin that is from across the counter in '63 that has never been installed in a block if someone is looking. Thanx for your help.

The GM factory starter for their 502 is perfect for a 409. But, it is too expensive and no better a starter than any of many minis that are available. Use a 168 tooth flywheel or flex-plate only though.

And, if you come across con-artists who tout to have a "special made" mini for 409's, they're deceiving you.

As I've already posted elsewhere many times, one caution though. DO NOT advance your base timing too far! If you get even one 'kick-back" you'll break the nose off your mini, no matter where you got it -- no second chances. :eek:

So, if you have a fresh rebuild, take the time to be sure your base-timing is set back to about 10 BTDC, or so. Then, after you get it fired up, set it to the 13-14.

Denis