Starter bracket

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I never seen one, but I've only had 4 W engines, over the years.:dunno 2-8's and 2-9's:clap

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I know the starter that was on the 327 in my '62 (motor was a '68) had that bracket attached. I took it off the 327 thinking I could maybe use it on the 409. If memory serves me, there was no provision on the block to attach the bracket. Often wondered why if the bracket was good enough for the sbc, why not for a "W" engine. Maybe the appearance of the bracket came about after the "W" engine became extinct, Carmine.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
My guess as to why the small blocks had the extra bracket and the 409s didn't is that the small blocks had a smaller flywheel and straight across bolt pattern on the starter. The 409 had a staggered starter bolt pattern that provided additional support to the starter. I could be way off on this guess but it sounded good to me.:dunno Of course that doesn't take into account the bell housing mounted starters.

blkss64

Well Known Member
My guess as to why the small blocks had the extra bracket and the 409s didn't is that the small blocks had a smaller flywheel and straight across bolt pattern on the starter. The 409 had a staggered starter bolt pattern that provided additional support to the starter. I could be way off on this guess but it sounded good to me.:dunno Of course that doesn't take into account the bell housing mounted starters.
I think that you are right and add that since the 409 starters had a cast iron nose, they did not need the extra support.