starter motor and fuel pump

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'm getting ahead of myself:D
but I've got a 348 coming and am wondering what kind of starter motor is good cause the orig starter from the 235 ain't gonna do it
Just curious but what do you guys think about fuel pumps :beerbang
Mechanical vs electric

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I don't remember if you had changed fuel line sizes under the car and checked for "kinks" but funny things and gremlins have happened to these cars throughout the years. I would check this and with the 348 you won't need the fuel output of the big carter pump. Also the output of the big carter is 3/8 inch vs 5/16 for the "stock" one which "might" create fuel line fitting/adaption issues depending on the fuel line to the carbs you want to run.

Morning, John:coffee:

I use the standard BBC staggered bolt starter on these engines... unless it's a genuine restoration, or in the case of my race car, I use an aluminum light weight starter.

As for the fuel pump, a VERY nice reproduction of the original 327/348 pump is available from Carter. It IS a little expensive ( around $80.00 ), but it looks right, fits right, works right... and it's made in Canada:deal .
Just ask your parts person who handles Carter, for a pump for an early 60's 348 or 327 4bbl passenger car.

ahah:doh
a test
I'll have to check...
i believe it's a short screw version ( I take it that you mean the 2 bolts that hold it to the block, yes ? )

I'll be back

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
well...... I hadent thought of that but no I meant the 10x32 screws that held the body together. the early hi pro ( for DQ) and fuel inj small blocks had a larger diaphram chamber that required longer screws. we alwas called the a long screw pump.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am using the same starter that Denis suggested. True, I havent hit the highway yet, ( waiting on brake parts) , I get pleasure out of exercising motor . The starter has performed great. Others on this web site are also pleased with this starter. I believe in the old saying that you get what you pay for, so Im still waiting for the down side of this great deal. So far, so good. :)

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Starters and fuel pumps

Thanks, for the tips and info Guys
It's given me something to chew on :cheers