Starter Wiring question?

58impala

Well Known Member
I ordered a starter from DB Electrical for my 348 which has the points style distributor and a ballast resistor. The fellow at DB told me the starter solenoid has three terminals and would bolt right up to the block pad, and so I assumed they would be marked like the OEM starter. Battery would be "B", "S" would be start from switch, and "R" would go to the + side of coil. This starter is not marked and I can figure out the Battery is the large terminal, but how can I tell which of the other two is "R" and "S". When looking at the back of the solenoid the large battery terminal is at "12" oclock and the two smaller terminals are at "3" oclock and "9" oclock. Since I'm somewhat electrically challenged, I need some help here. I don't want to damage my wiring or the new starter by guessing.

Thanks
Jim

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Jim

I would guess they will be same as far as position. If you want to bench check the starter put a negative jumper cable from the battery to the housing, a positive cable to the large battery terminal and then either short the terminal on the right to the positive battery cable or use a jumper wire. If the starter turns that is your S terminal and if not use the same procedure on the other terminal. Be careful that the starter is held from moving while testing the starter.

Bill