Steering front passenger wheel sudden turned outward (drive-able, but at a crawl)

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I have stock power steering.
Have looked at all the steering components and see nothing broken or broken from the steering wheel to the tires.
looking at the front end. The drivers wheel is facing straight, the passenger wheel in angled outwardly, but the tire tread is flat on the pavement.
The power steering pump is working fine.
Any ideas as to where to go next, can’t drive it like it is now.

Dave

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Tie rod end…. band clamp…..????……. Take measurements from side to side…… all cotter keys are in place all castellated nuts……Double check your idler shaft……?????

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Turn steering wheel to Position it normally where it is driving straight . Then look see which wheel is not facing straight ahead. That side might give you a clue as to where the problem is. Maybe you did this already.????

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Idler arm is on backwards is my guess. Triple check which way it's facing. This happened on my 64 conv and I found that if I backed up and turned one way or the other it would snap back to the correct geometry. Then I could drive it again like normal. Finally tracked it down to accidentally bolting idler arm on backwards after I had removed it for replacement.