Steering wheel death wobble!

Moparboss

Well Known Member
I have a 1959 Impala. At low speeds if I hit a bump with only one wheel between 20-40 MPH my steering wheel shakes like crazy barley control the car. Also when Corning at low speeds sweeping curves same thing. So this is what I have done so far. I installed all new control arms, bushings, ball joints. Still had same issues. So then had new shocks, inner and outer tie rods, idler arm with the newer style conversion. Still same issue. The car also has disc brake conversion. I can’t seem to solve this issue! Are there any other steering components that I can replace on this car? So far all new front suspension and all tie rods, shocks. I also read maybe driveline carrier bearing. So that was replaced yesterday. Still same issue. I have also tried different wheels and tires too! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Moparboss

Well Known Member
Original power steering?
Also, what is a conversion idler arm?
Original power steering. The conversion is the CPP that updates the idler to the 62-64 style. I also installed a new original idler arm prior to doing the upgrade. Neither one helped this issue.

Moparboss

Well Known Member
Sounds like the front end needs more positive caster, have it checked at an alignment shop.
I took this car to the best suspension shop in town. They did all the work including alignment. They also gave me the alignment readings. Everything is within spec. Also goes down the road perfectly straight at any speed.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Can you describe Shakes like crazy? Does this mean back and forth like left to right? Or just serious vibration with a little shake back and forth? Are you fighting the wheel back and forth? Just putting out thoughts. If you have controlled wheel road contact with shocks and springs, and you have replaced all steering components that would have play in them causing loose or uncontrolled steering, and the alignment is correct, would it then not come down to the power steering? Seems others had similar issues with the wrong control valve or a reversed valve? If the wheel is actually fighting you then look to the power steering. The suspension will just bump steer you around, but you still should be able to control that pretty easily. :dunno

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Jack up front end ,let the wheels hang down. Start engine and Rock steering stop to stop as fast as you can . See if you can make the steering wheel react like when driving it . If it does the control valve is defective or adjustment needed. When hoses are connected wrong it will Rock steering wheel back and forth on engine start up.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
With the car on a lift, if you pull the front of wheels toward each other, then push away from each other, there should be no movement. If there is, can you see why?

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Does the disk brake set up move the wheel mounting surface out farther than factory?

Moparboss

Well Known Member
I did notice that the ball joint in the power steering control valve has some play in it. Had my wife rock the steering wheel back and forth and the pitman arm has play at the power steering control valve. Not sure if it is supposed to move there a little or not. My 64 SS moves a little at that spot as well but I have no issues with that car. Weird

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The joint in the control valve needs to be check while the engine is running. Is the frame nice and solid at the steering box mounting area and are all of the bolts tight? Is the steering box adjusted properly?