Steering wheel death wobble!

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I am thinking control valve issue. Is there air in the system? Has it been serviced recently? Can you remove the pump from the generator then test drive?

Mr. Chev

Well Known Member
You must have had a wheel alignment as you dont mention unless I didnt see, could you post up the wheel alignment specs the shop supplied you with when you got the alignment? if the toe in is incorrect you can get some very disturbing issues, darting around, massive shimmy, bad tire wear.
I would make sure thats good before anything else period!!!!

Mr. Chev

Well Known Member
I took this car to the best suspension shop in town. They did all the work including alignment. They also gave me the alignment readings. Everything is within spec. Also goes down the road perfectly straight at any speed.
sorry just saw this, what is the toe spec?

Mr. Chev

Well Known Member
one more thing, check the steering link with the spring in it, my 61's have this and its possible you need to change that or adjust it, I think you can preload the spring more, I think this is chevys crappy way of handling the massive bump steer!

Lt.FrankDrebin

Well Known Member
I did notice that the ball joint in the power steering control valve has some play in it. Had my wife rock the steering wheel back and forth and the pitman arm has play at the power steering control valve. Not sure if it is supposed to move there a little or not. My 64 SS moves a little at that spot as well but I have no issues with that car. Weird
The control valve is supposed to have "play" where the pitman arm attaches. However, there should only be detectable play when the engine isn't running. That "play" is actually the pitman arm operating the spool valve inside the control valve, directing hydraulic fluid to where it needs to go. When the engine is running, that valve only moves within thousands of an inch. My '58 had a nasty front end shake at certain times, like when I would brake. Never found the culprit until I installed a factory power steering system in Dec 2021. I discovered a loose steering arm where it bolts to the steering knuckle. It sounds like your car is temporarily going out of alignment until everything settles back down. Check the ball joints and the A arm bushings. I had a '56 where all the rubber in an A arm bushing was missing and that caused some alignment issues at times.

Last edited:

Moparboss

Well Known Member
All Fixed! That’s to some input from you fellas. After figuring out how the system actually worked. Just like Frank states on his post. As it turned out the ram was moving all over the place. As it turned out the bracket at the end of the ram that mounts to the frame was very loose. So when I hit a bump and the pitman arm hit the spool valve to compensate it would push on the ram. When the ram reacted the bracket was all loose. Therefore the hole was enlarged quite a bit as well. Fixed the bracket and reattached road test and all perfect now! See pic below.
Thanks for the help guys!

Attachments

• 24E43EC2-C334-4677-B0B0-ED8748572562.jpeg
    24E43EC2-C334-4677-B0B0-ED8748572562.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 32

Moparboss

Well Known Member
All Fixed! That’s to some input from you fellas. After figuring out how the system actually worked. Just like Frank states on his post. As it turned out the ram was moving all over the place. As it turned out the bracket at the end of the ram that mounts to the frame was very loose. So when I hit a bump and the pitman arm hit the spool valve to compensate it would push on the ram. When the ram reacted the bracket was all loose. Therefore the hole was enlarged quite a bit as well. Fixed the bracket and reattached road test and all perfect now! Thanks for the help guys!

DaveN

Well Known Member
Thats good, man that was unsafe somebody goofed up that has a castle nut and locked with a cotter pin if I remember correctly.