Stock Fuel Pump or Aftermarket

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What fuel pump are you guys using that will support 450 + HP? I was thinking of rebuilding one of my stock fuel pumps and wondered if it would keep up?:dunno Any thoughts...:rub

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I will be using the Edelbrock pump. Regulated for use with their carbs. Should provide plenty of fuel

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I always swap out the stock needle and seat on the Carter Edelbrock AFB carbs. They sell a Heavy Duty Off Road needle and seat that seems to seal better if the pressure is sometimes higher than spec.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
You can't go wrong with a Carter street/strip pump. Problems arise when you want to keep things stock looking under the hood. HP pumps usually produce more psi than a needle and seat can handle! Using a HP pump would only be needed, even up to a 500 hp engine, if you were running at the strip. For a big HP street engine a stock carter pump producing 5 to 7 psi with at least 100 gals an hour would suffice.

GasNOil

Well Known Member
If it indeed has 8psi of pressure, you may have trouble holding that back with a stock needle and seat without a regulator. The pump I listed checks in at 5.5psi and work greats without.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If it indeed has 8psi of pressure, you may have trouble holding that back with a stock needle and seat without a regulator. The pump I listed checks in at 5.5psi and work greats without.
Well I hope I don't have to use a regulator. I don't think Models or Brian are. I just want it to look as close to original as possible and the Carter seems to fit the ticket in looks and runabilty....:deal

GasNOil

Well Known Member
Right on. Carters are pressure sensitive for sure. Never tried the heavy-duty needle and seats... might have to.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Here is what I use. Not sure if they are needed, but I use them every time.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1465/
Those off road needle and seat assys. won't tolerate any more pressure than the stock ones. Those little spring inserts are used to keep the needles from jiggling off the seat when bouncing around off road. Any pressure over 6 psi will cause the carb. to overfill. I have had several discussions with Edelbrock tech. over this issue. Leo

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I just put the Carter on my Impala and at the same time I put a pressure gauge on the fuel line.......... 8 PSI. I don't seem to notice any leakage when I shut the engine off...... yet. I know the Edelbrock is supposed to be 5 - 6 PSI.......... Not sure what I should do with it ?????????

Dave

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I just put the Carter on my Impala and at the same time I put a pressure gauge on the fuel line.......... 8 PSI. I don't seem to notice any leakage when I shut the engine off...... yet. I know the Edelbrock is supposed to be 5 - 6 PSI.......... Not sure what I should do with it ?????????

Dave
Well my engine builder says I should be okay up to 8 PSI. Sure hope so.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
My problems were a slight flooding when I hit the brakes and a rich idle. I even set the floats a little lower then Edelbrocks specs. I am now running a return fuel line with a metered orifice like the '63/'64 cars. Leo

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Hmmm, never a problem after switching to the off road n&s. I always put them in on rebuilds I do. The roads in Chicago are pretty close to off road.