Stock generator converted to alternator. Who does this?

Skim

Well Known Member
Hi everyone. After installing an electric fan it really helped cool down the 348 only problem is it's drawing too much power from my stock generator w/ reservoir. I have been told you can have it rebuilt as an alternator but looking around I haven't came up with a shop or place that sells them. Any help would be highly appreciated and thanks in advance. Sorry if this has been dealt with before I could not find any info in my search. Thanks.

Skim

Well Known Member
Forgot to mention, this happens only while driving at night with the headlights on and drains the battery.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Powermaster makes one, alternator that looks like a generator, costly about $450
If you're looking to do it yourself, forget about it unless you're a master technician.
Just replace that generator with an alternator for a lot less.

Skim

Well Known Member
thanks for the leads!
gener-nator.com says they cant because it has the power steering reservoir on it. I dont plan on doing it myself but I dont mind sending it out to be converted.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
thanks for the leads!
gener-nator.com says they cant because it has the power steering reservoir on it. I dont plan on doing it myself but I dont mind sending it out to be converted.

He is the most expensive out there.
Change to a Saginaw style PS pump