Strange Date Code

62BillT

Well Known Member
Having a little trouble finding out some info. Altho not a W block, has anyone ever seen or heard of a Date Code on the back of an engine like the one I have. The number stamped on the front pad is F0502 (May 2nd) and when I went to check the code on the back, rather than finding something like E21 or E261, I found just a "1", no letters, no other numbers, just a "1". The engine in question is a '61 283 Power Pack.

Any info would be appreciated.

Bill

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
What are the casting numbers on the block?
Obviously it's a small block cast pre-67 and there were some instances of casting dates located in unusual places like the side of the rear flange near the oil filter boss, and possibly on the side of the block. There have been cases of no date at all, as one of our members here posted about a 348 block he has with no casting numbers or date as I recall.
:scratch

62BillT

Well Known Member
The casting number is 3756519. Someone else mentioned that the numbers could also be in a different place, but right now there are a lot of obstacles in the way. I'll check around the oil fliter. But the date code is in the proper place and it is in-between the "Two slotted screw heads", but again it's just a "1". I'm going to say the that 1 stands for '61, but it is a mystery.

I was telling someone else that maybe the guy in charge of the numbers that day (or night) might have been in a hurry to go to lunch or something.

I've been aware of date codes and have been checking date codes on parts as well as engines for close to 20 years now and I've never seen anything like it.

Bill