Stroking The 348 ?

ZEBEBAD

What Kind Of Stroking Can Be Done With The 348 Block Using A 427 Crank Or A 454 Crank ?
And The Least Pricey Combo To Take ?

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Greg,I know of a good machine shop that knows how to do 409's,not all machine shops now how to work on 409's.I also have a 409 crank for $100,if you decide to go that way :dunno

ZEBEBAD

I WAS READING SOMEWHERE THAT SOMEONE TOOK A 348 BLOCK & I THINK BORED IT .125 AND A 427 CRANK WITH THE COUNTER WEIGHTS TURNED DOWN , BB RODS[ not sure of the length] AND BB PISTONS. DOES THIS SOUND FAMILAR TO ANY ONE ?

ZEBEBAD said:
I WAS READING SOMEWHERE THAT SOMEONE TOOK A 348 BLOCK & I THINK BORED IT .125 AND A 427 CRANK WITH THE COUNTER WEIGHTS TURNED DOWN , BB RODS[ not sure of the length] AND BB PISTONS. DOES THIS SOUND FAMILAR TO ANY ONE ?

Greg.. that was me. I built that engine in 1989 for my 59 1 ton tow rig. Ran it for over a decade, going all over North America.
I freshened it up, installed an Offy 2X4, and it's now in Arizona in a 55 Chev pickup... with a stick ! ! !

ZEBEBAD

HEY JIM IS THE BEST & LEAST EXPESIVE WAY TO GO IS WITH THE 409 CRANK IN A 348 ? IF SO WHAT rods, pistons bore]? and did you say you had a good 409 crank that you would sell ? I keep reading that the 409 crank is the easiest and most economical way to go . YOU SOUND LIKE YOU REALLY KNOW YOUR W- MOTORS , I WOULD APRECIATE ANY OF YOUR KNOWLEDGABLE ADVICE .
I plan on putting a 4-speed behind this [BW super T-10, W/ 288 first gear] with a 488 geared 9 in. rear end and doing both drag & street duty with her.

ZEBEBAD

HEY , AUBREY I FIRST SAW YOUR CAR ON E-BAY AND THEN CLICKED ON YOUR VIDIO CLIP WITH YOU SLAMMING THAT 4-SPEED ! MAN , THATS THE WAY WE DID IT IN THE 80'S MY WIFE SAW ME WATCHING YOUR VIDO CLIP FOR THE FIRST TIME [ iv'e watched it many times over with the sound turned way up!] AND LAUGHED AT ME AND TOLD ME THAT I HAD A BONNER , NHRA & IHRA OR THE LOCAL TRACKS SHOULD HAVE A BRACKET CLASS STRICLY FOR 4-SPEEDS . SO WE CAN SHOW THESE KIDS AND NEWBES HOW IS WAS BEFORE EVERYONE WENT TO THE AUTOMATICS . AWESOME CAR AUBERY ! GLAD YOUR KEEPING IT !

ZEBEBAD said:
NHRA & IHRA OR THE LOCAL TRACKS SHOULD HAVE A BRACKET CLASS STRICLY FOR 4-SPEEDS . SO WE CAN SHOW THESE KIDS AND NEWBES HOW IS WAS BEFORE EVERYONE WENT TO THE AUTOMATICS

Isn't THAT the truth, Greg :deal :beerbang !

BTW... that wasn't shifting...
This past Sunday in Saskatoon... THAT was shifting :deal . FINALLY got the confidence back. And yes, that's a large part of it.
My car's not very fast, but it sure runs good.