SUPER CHEVY Kansas City

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Just checking to see if anybody here was planning on coming to KC for the Super Chevy show in August. It is Aug. 17, 18 & 19.

Didn't know if we might have a showing of 348 & 409 cars. Hopefully Ken Walsh...white 63 Mr. 409....will be here.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Tell me more...

I've never been to a "Super Chevy", what are they like?

I did go to that Good Guys event last year in KC, had a lot of fun, but just drove out, parked the '62 in the lot with the rest of the visitors, and headed back home later that day.

I'm guessing this is a multiple day event with racing and such?

Best,
TomK

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
I might try to come over. I've done many SC events, but never the one in KC. This year the Denver event was cancelled. Attendance had fallen badly, in recent years, and there was much dissatisfaction over the way the event was run. prices had gotten out of hand.

I hope to have my biscayne finished by then. I usually go to Good-Guys KC, and the ACES Chevelle regionals, but we'll check the calender.

dave in denver

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dave, The Dallas SC was cancelled several years ago for the same reasons you mentioned. Tom,,,, SC consists of swap meet, bracket race, and car show. A big deal, especially for spectators. A nice place to visit, but........

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Me Too

I haven't been to a Super Chevy event in probably 8 years for ALL the above reasons!! But with it here in KC...it would be hard not to go out to see whats happening. I would go for sure if there was a group of us W HEADS!!!

Indy SC just to be very special. It was THE ONE that everybody worked on their cars all year just to be there. But.....they put on too many shows...somewhere about 300 a year!!!.........and the experience just became diluted.

MileHigh................when you come to the Goodguys at Kansas Speedway...you are just about 10 miles from my shop. Give me a call next time!!

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
Thanks, I'll do that.

Does this racetrack look familiar? I'm about to take my twins for a couple of laps around the track in my wife's 67 Chevelle
237995417.jpg

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Phil:
Thanks for letting us know about your area's super chevy show . I would enjoy going out there with the 61 to see your area of the country at a slower pace then the last time. I also want to travel more while good health enables it. Hell, I never thought I would ever make it to 60 when in my younger days....I would have kept better care of myself if I had known I would have made it this long!!
The weekend before your event is the big event at Petersburg Va. at Tommy Nolen's and I want to see both of his 61's (the chevy and the F**d) I have already registered my car(hope he doesn't make too much fun of mine).
Maybe it will work out better later for me.
Robert

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I might try to come over. I've done many SC events, but never the one in KC. This year the Denver event was cancelled. Attendance had fallen badly, in recent years, and there was much dissatisfaction over the way the event was run. prices had gotten out of hand.

dave in denver

I agree the same thing happened here,they moved the SC show to another dragstrip in the state :dunno

Speed

Supporting Member 1

I hope to have my biscayne finished by then. I usually go to Good-Guys KC, and the ACES Chevelle regionals, but we'll check the calender.

dave in denver

Sad news re: Bandimere.
That was a fabulous event in my day.

Will Phil have the 409 engine on a "Run Stand" in his booth?:dunno
I loved that Phil!(years ago)

Bring back the Original Super Chevy Gang!!!!!!! ( the Nitrous Cars!):cool:

Speed

Supporting Member 1
Man...that was like 300 years ago!!!!:doh :doh :doh

Were you here for that????

The "early days" of ProMod..on our way to the Super Chevy western swing Phil.
( with our '66 Chevelle)*
We , as always, enjoyed seeing you...
Special days in Super Chevy..huh?

* I saw Tom J. a few times last year..Bev even joined us in Ca. for dinner!(one evening)
Your name comes up often.

www.wallybell.com

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
HOLY MOLY..................the WORLD FAMOUS Wally Bell!!!!!! How in the world are you??? I haven't seen you for years!! How's Bev? We all know she's your better half!!! I still have your autographed picture at the shop of your 66 Chevelle!! I'll have to take a picture and post it here!!

I was out at Tom's several years ago. Gordy Faust showed up on his black Honda Goldwing and trailer. Now that I think of it, it's was Linda's memorial. Anyway, at dinner we talked about you and all the good times at Super Chevys "in the good ole days". It was a good evening.

For those who don't know...............Wally raced a Z-11 in 1963!!:bow :bow

SPEED............what an appropriate name!!!!

Welcome to the forum Wally. If you and Bev ever come thru KC.........you always have a place to stay.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Reading Wally Bell's history on his web-site was fantastic. Watched him race Super Chevy events many times. Who would have ever thought Wally would become a member of this site. Can't wait for the input and suggestions he can provide. Welcome Wally.........:)

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
A hearty hello for Wally. I had read his bio earlier but really enjoyed reading it again
Robert

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I am impressed!

Wally:

Thanks for coming on board and for posting the link to your site. Wow, you really have some history going there! What a thrill those memories must be :).

Now all we need to learn is that someone gave you that Z-11 back and you decided to join us at Norwalk this summer, doing the nostalgia thing a few more times down the quarter mile track :).

Welcome!

TomK

Speed

Supporting Member 1
Sitting in Hank's "good ole Mr. Wilson" Z-11 in York last year warmed my heart.
Larry is an old friend and was "bad" in the day. ( illegal as hell, but "bad")

If in fact our '63 ( which started life with Hubert..owned by Alan Hyder),
was alive (some say it is), I would love to just "see it".

Jim Amos' Bee on Video..Pocono Drag Lodge video, documents our exploits (on that day) I loved that car.

The Super Chevy years..( 80's,90's,through 2000 ) were awesome
meeting all of the great people who have passionately kept the 348,409,Z-11
legacy alive.

Nobody is more passionate than Phil Reed.....

( By the way...my friend Tom J. has more 409 stuff than anyone I know....huh Phil?)

Anyhow Super Chevy is a great place to go (even without our cars :dunno )