supercharged 409

charlie rogers

Well Known Member
will be starting a build on a supercharged 409 in about a month. want to contact lamar waldon or/and bob walla, anybody have there contact info? btw this will be a street motor. anybody else you guys rec getting into contact with?
Charlie,,,,

charlie rogers

Well Known Member
never built a w motor before so I am just getting started with my research on the shortblock/rotating specs. I am a big fan of long rod motors from a mechanical point of view. looking to get a rod ratio of 1.7 or higher/better for my build. so I wont be going with a 4 inch stroke. I see bob walla's shop is not to far from me {about 2 hours} that could could be handy. willys all steel, need to turn it into correct era gasser2015-9-3.2.JPG

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
All steel... Nice. :beer

I wonder just what rod ratio you could get with custom pistons on a 4" stroke. :scratch
I know 6.385 rods will work with a 4.25 stroke, so with that same piston, you could fit a 6.51 rod.
6.535 is an available size that could almost certainly work but that would only give you a ratio of 1.634 with a 4" stroke. :rub

To get to 1.7 you'd need a 6.80 rod. I kinda doubt that would fit, so you're probably right about not being able to go with a 4" stroke.

I know there's some advantages to a long rod setup but it's not like 1.634 is a bad ratio. It sure would be nice to take advantage of the 4" aftermarket cranks out there rather than having to modify an old 396/427 crank.

Either way, it should be a great engine with a blower on it.

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
never built a w motor before so I am just getting started with my research on the shortblock/rotating specs. I am a big fan of long rod motors from a mechanical point of view. looking to get a rod ratio of 1.7 or higher/better for my build. so I wont be going with a 4 inch stroke. I see bob walla's shop is not to far from me {about 2 hours} that could could be handy. willys all steel, need to turn it into correct era gasserView attachment 38957
My next dream project after my 62 - go the Willy's gasser.

Gav

T-REXblown409

talked with rob a little today, nice guy! going with a bds 6-71 roots +carbs and linkage that a friend is lending to the project. the project is........................
..............................teaser pic!
Charlie,,,,

I've got a BDS 6-71 small port intake. But if you call Jack Gibbs he can get a big port blower intake then just get the supercharger, I'm getting 1 of them myself.

T-REXblown409

All steel... Nice. :beer

I wonder just what rod ratio you could get with custom pistons on a 4" stroke. :scratch
I know 6.385 rods will work with a 4.25 stroke, so with that same piston, you could fit a 6.51 rod.
6.535 is an available size that could almost certainly work but that would only give you a ratio of 1.634 with a 4" stroke. :rub

To get to 1.7 you'd need a 6.80 rod. I kinda doubt that would fit, so you're probably right about not being able to go with a 4" stroke.

I know there's some advantages to a long rod setup but it's not like 1.634 is a bad ratio. It sure would be nice to take advantage of the 4" aftermarket cranks out there rather than having to modify an old 396/427 crank.

Either way, it should be a great engine with a blower on it.

My 409/472ci I've got a 6.135 H-beam rods 4" stroke 454 crank and 340hp 409 heads that have been opened up.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes,it's a little on the conservative side.You wouldn't believe how small that little hyd.flat tappet cam is.