Surprise!!...It's a SIX

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Forget 4-bangers and new wave street demograpghics in comparison to muscle car examples. It's like pop-tarts VS Prime Rib. What's your preference? Kellogs VS Angus?

I remember buying an old HOTROD magazine, late sixties. The article was headlined the same as the Title to this message. In summary, the write-up was about a six cylinder Ford truck engine, reportedly being a 300 ci. which, after being, done up with three 2-barrel webbers, cam, pistons, and roller rocker cam (apparently new at the time), etc. etc. would send many V8s home. Not the more punchy V8's mind you. Just think..a 300 ci engine thats an in-line six. There were V8'sthat were smaller. Pretty torque(y).

The Hotrod project car, with this engine, was dumped into a 1965 mustang. I recall that the writers were impressed with the end result and indicated that, at full tilt, the car sounded like an airplane taking off. (Remember its still the sixties & first impressions may have been impaired a little). Regardless......

Question: Did GM have a SIX that was comparable? I recall that the Firebirds of the late sixties had an unusual SIX cylinder package that had some "teeth". Personally, I was facinated by a hopped up six banger punching the pavement with V8s and getting noticed. (Love the underdog with a win at the end of the day) :bow

Anybody?

RCE1962

RPO587

Supporting Member 1
RCE,
GM (Pontiac) introduced their 230 cu in Sprint 6 OHC engine in the 1966 Tempest Sprint. Original specs were 207hp @5200 rpms and 228ft lbs of torque at 3800 rpms. By 1969 the engine had been developed into a 250 incher with 230hp. Introduced as a option on the Tempest and Le Mans, it was the standard engine for the Firebird Sprint from 67-69. Unique for its time was the belt-driven ohc, and a 650cfm Quadrajet mounted 90 degrees from the norm.

FWIW, I have put about 75k on the Ford 4.9L/300 cu in 6. It is a robust and well designed pushrod engine. I have heard of some which were "built", and thought that it would make an interesting project for a street rod since the SBC is so commonly used.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Ford 300

I built an early 80's 300 in a 1/2 ton 4x4 truck. Stock cam .060 bore aluminum intake, holley 450 carb ,headers and duals. It would burn 33x12.50x15 tires through third gear! Pulled good ,Idle through 5000. Awesome low end torque. One thing to keep in mind of inline sixes is that they have an overlapping power stroke which makes it idle smooth and has gobs of low end power.Get a hold of Clifford Industries for inline power. :brow