"Survivor" 62 Belair Sedan

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I have had a lot of questions about this car (and the other one) that I recently picked up with the parts I purchased. I am posting the description the 3rd owner posted when he sold it to a gentleman here in CT. I have not crawled up under the car to do a thorough check of the floors and etc as it has been cold and wet here. However, the trunk, and all pinch welds are solid with no visible rust. All panels are original. Last and only paint job was in 1978, so I feel pretty good that the body is as solid as one will find. This appears to be a purpose built car to go and have fun with and drive. It is done VERY well. I have done no cleaning yet, but will be buffing out the 35+ year old paint and detail the car before putting it up for sale. If I decided to keep this car, it would be the first x-frame 409 that I wouldn't have to put money into to have a blast! ....I hope this answer some questions until I get more familiar with the car.

IMG_1694.jpgIMG_1695.jpgIMG_1279.jpgIMG_1280.jpgIMG_1281.jpgIMG_1282.jpgIMG_1283.jpgIMG_1284.jpgIMG_1285.jpg

409envy

Well Known Member
I can attest to Dennis's description of the quality of this car. It runs and drives as good as it looks and the 1970's laquer paint will really polish out nice. We went for a "test drive" on Saturday and it was in the mid 20's at the time of our ride. The car started up on the first revolution and idled smoothly. It has a great road feel and excellent power. I told Dennis if I could afford it this car would be coming home with me and I would drive it every chance I get. It really is a gem!

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Have you decoded them all? What is the rarest code you found so far?
I've decoded about 95% of the 93 different ACC codes that I've recorded for all Fisher plants in 62 and there's a couple that I haven't yet decoded because they are so rare. Like the 16A code on a car from Norwood, the TL code on a Tarrytown car, or the 491 code on a convertible from Lansing. It's so rare that I've never even seen a wagon built at Van Nuys with a split rear seat, but I know it will have an ACC code for it.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've decoded about 95% of the 93 different ACC codes that I've recorded for all Fisher plants in 62 and there's a couple that I haven't yet decoded because they are so rare. Like the 16A code on a car from Norwood, the TL code on a Tarrytown car, or the 491 code on a convertible from Lansing. It's so rare that I've never even seen a wagon built at Van Nuys with a split rear seat, but I know it will have an ACC code for it.
I was wondering about the split rear. Seen a photo of one and thought it was weird.

Reactions: 327

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Only Cleveland, Flint #1 (with Buick ACC codes), Janesville, St Louis and Van Nuys built wagons in 62 and I've only seen split rear seats in Janesville and St Louis wagons, so I actually don't know the split rear seat ACC code for wagons built at Cleveland, Flint #1 or Van Nuys. The split rear seat code for Janesville or St Louis is 12K, but If y'all see a 61/62 wagon at a car show with a split rear seat, take a photo of the cowl tag for me. FYI, Chevrolet made 2,330 wagons with a split rear seat, so there should be quite a few left.

Last edited:

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
I'm most interested in anniversary gold 62's because I have one and I've recorded 189 of the 16,925 that were built, but I branched out to figure out all the different ACC codes on 62's, and now I collect all 59-62 cowl tags. I've figured out most of the codes for 61-63 and still need more 59-60 tags, and recently I've become interested in the rare codes on wagons because they got options that no other body style got, for example, the split rear seat, power tailgate and rear compartment lock.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm most interested in anniversary gold 62's because I have one and I've recorded 189 of the 16,925 that were built, but I branched out to figure out all the different ACC codes on 62's, and now I collect all 59-62 cowl tags. I've figured out most of the codes for 61-63 and recently, still need more 59-60 tags and I've become interested in the rare codes on wagons because they got options that no other body style got, for example, the split rear seat, power tailgate and rear compartment lock.
I hate my power tailgate on the wagon but I don't have much choice on a 9 passenger. If it dies on you then you are going through hell like I did to get it open to work again. LOL!

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have often thought that a manual crank conversion should be doable but I havent looked into it.
It can but then what do the people in the third row seat do to get out? No handle on the inside to bring window down first to open tailgate next. Such a poor design. Electric window switch on drivers side at the very back with little light is all you have to get the window down and then you can hit the tailgate latch to get out.