suspension question

iaco59

Well Known Member
I would like to stiffen up the rear of my 59 impala Need suggestions. Air shocks???? Adjustable??? springs?? Or--------------Thanks

bobs409

Administrator
Would air bags help this? I've never used them and always wondered how they might improve handling.

NEVER use air shocks! I ripped my upper shock mounts out of my 63 by using these nasty things.

poison ivy

Well Known Member
airlift airbags, have them on my 58.you can stiffen or load one side to assist traction.Run the air lines to the bottom of rear bumper for ease of filling or adjusting.

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT GETTING A SET FOR QUITE SOME TIME.I RUN AIR SHOCKS,AND HAVE HAD THEM ON THE CAR FOR THE LAST 30 YEARS.I DID CRACK THE REAR END AND AXLE HOUSING YEARS AGO BACK IN THE MID 70'S ,AND HAD TO REPLACE IT BECAUSE OF THE AIR SHOCKS,WHICH I HAD PUMPED UP TO THE MAX.AFTER THAT I KEEP THE AIR SHOCKS AT A MODERATE POUNDAGE AND HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM.WITH THE AIR LIFT,CAN THEY BE INSTALLED WITHOUT DROPPING THE BOTTOM SHOCK MOUNT OUT AND REMOVAL OF THE SPRING?? OR CAN THEY BE INSTALLED JUST BY WORKING THEM THRU THE SPRING?:dunno

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I use coil over rear and front shocks, rears are typically referred to as load levellers, they replace existing shocks. I find they give a firm and stable ride with really good rebound.

I have just redone my 64, with shocks and bigger front sway bar and added a rear sway bar, turned a vague sloppy feel into a nice tight unit, you wouldn't think it was the same car.

iaco59

Well Known Member
Lots of good info-Thanks. Now-- where to buy KYB, -- AIR SHOCKS,-- AIR BAGS, That will fit my 59 impala???? Decision time. Would I also want to put "them" on the front too?

gary

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Summit or Jegs

air-60818_m.jpg

No matter what you drive, Air Lift 1000 Load Assist rear spring kits can solve your suspension problems. These air springs are inflatable air cylinders made from tough polyurethane material and fit inside your coil springs to add up to 1,000 lbs. of leveling capacity. Each cylinder has an inflation valve, so you can vary the air pressure to level your vehicle and compensate for uneven loads. Load assists reduce roll, sway, and bottoming out and are available for most cars, trucks, and minivans with open coil springs. They come complete with air lines, fittings, brackets, and mounting hardware.

Results 1 - 10 of 19

In-Store Pickup Location Select

bobs409

Administrator
I just recieved a set from Summit for my 72 Chevelle. The instruction say you deflate them and work them in between a coil. Looking at them makes me question that... :rub

This might work on my Chevelle but not sure on one of our cars. I think the coils might be closer together. Looks like a fun job in either case trying to get them in there. :rolleyes

iaco59

Well Known Member
My 59 does have a small coil that the shock go through??????. It was advertised 59 through 64.? I better make a phone call tomorrow

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Shocks on the rear normally do not go through the spring, to put a bag inside the spring would be relatively easy, remove shocks from bottom shock mount then jack the body up until the springs become loose then remove, install the bag then reverse procedure.

iaco59

Well Known Member
Second look--- yep --Yellow shocks going through coil spring. about 3 i/2 dia. Pretty smalll air bag?????

bobs409

Administrator
That sounds like load leveler type shocks. It's a shock with a spring around it. You should still have large coil springs that hold the car up. ;)