Suspension

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
1962 Impala 409. Original suspension aside from a pair of Moog springs for the rear axle. Can anyone recommend an aftermarket suspension kit to offer better ride and handling? I would like to keep the same stance as much as possible. Currently this car rides like a lumber truck. I'm no longer interested in keeping it as original as possible.

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Yes.

I'm open to suggestions regarding changes.... without considering a more modern conversion?

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Are you running anti sway bar on the front?
What shocks are you running?
How close are the bump stops?

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Assume you mean it bounces a lot after hitting a bump?
Use shocks that have better rebound damping rate or adjustable rebound shocks. My 60 with stock suspension except for cut front springs rode like a baby buggy, never harsh but way to softly sprung for my taste . Had the KYB Gas-A-Just shocks on four corners. https://www.kyb.com/products/gas-a-just/

That has all changed to Ridetec adjustable rebound shocks and much more. Haven't driven it yet.

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Global West 58 through 64 front and rear suspension……..$$$$
Absolutely, that is the best set up. I did not do the rear as shown. I left it stock but did use adjustable sway bar or pan hard bar is correct name on rear and is heavy duty and heavy duty shocks front and rear .I did the front system as shown with notched radiator to eliminate bumpsteer and it drives as good as any new car. No veering over bumps or uneven road. Effortless power steering and no I didn't have to reduce pressures from pump and it does not feel sloppy at highway speeds , very steady steering wheel feel. As good as it drives now I don't see how the rear could improve any noticeable difference it is stronger I am sure but I am leaving rear alone .

Last edited:

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I looked today I guess my '64 has a "Canadian" frame. I have most of the rear stuff to put on when we pull the frame off the car and the front shock "hole washers". Will probably go the front deal too when I get there.