Swap 348 into 1959 apache 3600

348 Patchy build

Certainly not a race car! A 3600 would need a full chassis swap for that. I still have its original 8 stud wheels and the massive twin spring packs on the rear. I noticed some holes on the chassis that looked like a winch or crane may have been mounted there in its past life! Although I found this painting on the drivers door ( under about 4 coats of blue paint) I reckon it’s original from around 60 years ago! Looks like the raccoon dipped his tail in the can and painted with it!

Attachments

• IMG_4244.jpeg
    IMG_4244.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 24

427John

Well Known Member
If they are both SM420's I don't think there is a lot of difference between them maybe the later casting date version may have some updates but take a close look at them if both SM 420's they should look almost identical, if there are some differences the later casting number trans may be a SM465 which if so is a somewhat stronger box but don't have quite as steep a 1st gear ratio which shouldn't matter unless you're into rock crawling.

348 Patchy build

Hi guys. My 348 is built and I should have it here in a few days. Very exciting. Currently my Apache doesn't have a fan shroud for the 235 6 cylinder.
Do you think I should fit one for the 348? I currently have the 4 blade fixed steel fan.

348 Patchy build

He guys. Just got my 348 delivered. Noticed a small gap under the intake manifold on the front right hand side. I believe it is a blind hole. has anyone struck this before?

Last edited:

348 Patchy build

Hi guys. Now with the next problem. I cannot use the original gas pedal set up. It currently has the rod that comes from the pedal and goes through the firewall to a pivot bracket setup. I am thinking I will need a cable setup to get around this.
Has anyone gone down this path before? Any help will be appreciated.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Thanks 64ss409.
How did you get around that?
Did anything need modifying/ moving?
I ground on the exhaust manifold until I got some clearance. It probably was pretty thin.

Hi guys. Now with the next problem. I cannot use the original gas pedal set up. It currently has the rod that comes from the pedal and goes through the firewall to a pivot bracket setup. I am thinking I will need a cable setup to get around this.
Has anyone gone down this path before? Any help will be appreciated.
My fix isn't going to help you. My conversions were done back in the 60's. I went to the dealer and ordered the V8 throttle linkage.

348 Patchy build

No worries 64ss409.
I checked the SM425 Bell Housing last night and it will fit perfectly.
The Bell Housing does not have the top mounting hole that the block does, but has all the others and will fit nicely. I am thinking of drilling a hole in the bell housing to fit that bolt. One more bolt holding on can't hurt.

Last edited:

348 Patchy build

Righto, here are the next few problems.
I have 4 clutch head screws in the trans cover that are sized into place. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get these out?
Also has anyone pulled the E brake lever off before. Looks like it has a washer and spring sort of setup. Iv never see it before. I don’t want to damage it in the removal process.
Other than that I’m nearly ready to put Big Red into the Apache.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
If the clutch head screws aren't stripped I would try one of the hand held impact driver that you smack with a hammer if you have the room for that.