Sway Bars

mrat240

I just bought a 1960 chevy back in May. It has a 427cu in 4 speed. Love driving the car. My wife and I have been to many cruise-ins and shows over the summer.
Question is the car has stock suspension, who makes the best sway bars for this car?
Just a little more body roll then what I like.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I put a Helmac rear sway bay in our 6 impala bubbletop and love it.
http://www.348-409.com/forum/index.php?forums/1958-1965-full-size-chevrolet.5/
wARDSROADIRRIGATOR006.jpg

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Does it have a front stabilizer bar? Shouldn't do rear without doing the front first. May only need a front.

mrat240

No, there is not a stabilizer bar. I am thinking sway bar and some really good shocks will make a big difference.

61BISCAYNE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I agree with models16. You will be surprised how much difference the front alone will make in the car.
I bought mine from Classic Performance Products. Mine works very well, although it did
seem to harshen the ride just a bit on rough roads.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
No, there is not a stabilizer bar. I am thinking sway bar and some really good shocks will make a big difference.
If yours does not have the front sway bar you may want to check your lower control arms to see if they have the mount for the links. If they do not you will want to get a set that do in order to mount the sway bar.

mpris

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If yours does not have the front sway bar you may want to check your lower control arms to see if they have the mount for the links. If they do not you will want to get a set that do in order to mount the sway bar.

The Hellwig 5712 1 inch sway bar fron Amazon, comes with adapters to bolt to your lower control arms if needed. Good price and free shipping.

Poocho

mrat240

This car was a 6 cyc 3 speed car from the factor. It shows no sign of a sway bar. I guess I am going to have to drill, to mount one.

I used Hotchkiss sway bars, front and rear, and I'm very happy with the way my '61 handles. You can see the sway bar tab on the lower control arm in the last picture.

rearend05.jpg
rearend03.jpg
frontswaybar01.jpg
frontswaybar03.jpg

mrat240

That is correct, I called cpp and ordered one from them. From what I understand I will have ro do some drilling.
Yes the car was a 6 cyc and 3 speed. Now a 427 4 speed.

mrat240

Mark, what would be the chances on getting a picture of the front end from head on.
As I said before this car did not come with a sway bar and I am needing to figure out the right spot on the lower to mount the brackets.